Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 do i need a new base station

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ann65
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a arlo pro 2 cameras and station, but, I just bought a arlo 4 spotlight camera, do I need to get a new base station, i have high def, internet, but, I am thinking, I just had a senior moment when I tried to add the device, I got a adapter to use so not have to keep recharging batteries, where I am is very cold, and zaps battery life within weeks, but, I didn't install the battery that came with the camera, should I have installed it anyways, I know its a dumb question, but, the little booklet that came with didn't say anything about anything!! thank you for trying to help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ann65 wrote:

I have a arlo pro 2 cameras and station, but, I just bought a arlo 4 spotlight camera, do I need to get a new base station,

No, the Pro 4 will can either be connected to your home wifi, or it can be connected to a VMB4000 base (which is what you said you had in the model field of your post).

However, you will need a subscription to get cloud storage with the Pro 4.  It comes with a 3-month trial, but after that you'll need an Arlo Secure plan for the camera.

@ann65 wrote:

I got a adapter to use so not have to keep recharging batteries, where I am is very cold, and zaps battery life within weeks, but, I didn't install the battery that came with the camera, should I have installed it anyways,

The camera will work without the battery (and will work at lower temperatures without it).  The main disadvantage is that if there if there is a power interruption, the camera will completely shut down (instead of switching over to battery).  If your internet is shut down anyway because of the power loss, then that's not a big concern. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ann65 wrote:

I have a arlo pro 2 cameras and station, but, I just bought a arlo 4 spotlight camera, do I need to get a new base station,

No, the Pro 4 will can either be connected to your home wifi, or it can be connected to a VMB4000 base (which is what you said you had in the model field of your post).

However, you will need a subscription to get cloud storage with the Pro 4.  It comes with a 3-month trial, but after that you'll need an Arlo Secure plan for the camera.

@ann65 wrote:

I got a adapter to use so not have to keep recharging batteries, where I am is very cold, and zaps battery life within weeks, but, I didn't install the battery that came with the camera, should I have installed it anyways,

The camera will work without the battery (and will work at lower temperatures without it).  The main disadvantage is that if there if there is a power interruption, the camera will completely shut down (instead of switching over to battery).  If your internet is shut down anyway because of the power loss, then that's not a big concern. 

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation