Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 XL - Schedule Settings

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Steve13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

I had posted on this and got some great replies (thank you) but am still struggling.  

I am trying to set my Front Door and Back Door cameras to run 24/7 while having my Side Yard camera only run at night.  Our dog goes out on the side yard and the alerts are crushing me.

So far I have only been able to figure out how to set a schedule for ALL cameras … not schedules for individual cameras.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Steve13 wrote:

I am trying to set my Front Door and Back Door cameras to run 24/7 while having my Side Yard camera only run at night.  Our dog goes out on the side yard and the alerts are crushing me.

So far I have only been able to figure out how to set a schedule for ALL cameras … not schedules for individual cameras.

I am thinking you are using a base station - is that correct?

I posted the steps on your previous post:

Yes.  If you have a base station you

1. Create a custom mode (let's call it Abner for the invisible dog) that includes all your cameras except for the one you want excluded. https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them
  2. Create a schedule that uses the Abner mode when you don't want the dog recorded, and uses armed the rest of the time. https://kb.arlo.com/4900/How-can-I-set-a-schedule-for-my-camera-in-my-Arlo-account

If you don't have a base station, you can just create the schedule (using disarmed when you don't want the dog recorded).

Note that a schedule entry can't span midnight - so you have to end the entry at 11:59 pm, and create a new one as 12:00 am.

Can you let us know where you got stuck?  Were you able to create the custom mode that includes rules for just the front and back door cameras (but not the side door)?  

Part of your problem is likely conceptual.  With a base, you can only set up a schedule for all the cameras connected to it.  However, that doesn't mean that the schedule is all-or-nothing (all cameras armed or all cameras disarmed). 

Steve13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thanks for your quick reply and appreciate your earlier note as well.  (Had trouble finding it in the forum so posted again … apologies).

To your questions - I have 3 cameras and the base station and here’s where I am getting hung up - I have been able to create a “schedule”.  I have also been able to create a “custom mode”.  My challenge with the “schedule” is that it works on all cameras … not giving me the option to have different cameras turn on and off at different times.  So I created the “custom mode” thinking I could apply that to one camera (which I was) AND then assign a schedule to that one camera, which I was not able to do.  It appears the modes are more about what you want the camera to do … record, make a siren, etc. … vs turning on and off on a schedule.  That didn’t appear to be an option.  

My ideal scenario would be to set the Arlo system schedule to have two of the cameras run 24/7 and the 3rd camera only run at night.  And it would just follow that schedule w/o me having to toggle between modes daily.

Do you know if that functionality is possible?

And thanks again for your help!

Best

Steve

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Steve13 wrote:

So I created the “custom mode” thinking I could apply that to one camera (which I was)

No, that is backwards.  The custom mode arms the other two cameras.  The side camera shouldn't be in the mode at all.

When that mode is chosen, the front and rear cameras will be armed, and the side camera disarmed.  Which is exactly what you want during the day.

@Steve13 wrote:

then assign a schedule to that one camera,

Again no.

You schedule modes, not cameras.  So you schedule the armed mode at night, which arms all three cameras.  And the custom mode during the day (which only arms front and rear).

Steve13
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I’m tracking however I still have a challenge - I can only set one schedule.  I can “add a mode” but I can’t “add a schedule”.  So I have the option to create one schedule that works for all 3 cameras.  If I could create Schedule A for all three at night and then Schedule B for the 2 cameras during the day that would be great.  But can’t figure out how to do that.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Steve13 wrote:

But can’t figure out how to do that.  

Let's start again.

Each mode controls all the cameras that are connected to the base.  Each rule in the mode controls the camera in that is in that rule.  If a camera is not in any of the rules, then it is disabled when that mode is active.

So a mode does not apply to a single camera.  It applies to all the cameras connected to the base.

Now let's keep the schedule out of it for the moment.

If you created the custom mode I outlined above, then you could manually choose that mode every morning.  The side camera would be disarmed, so no dog recordings would be happening.  The other two cameras would be armed, so they would record as usual.  Does this make sense to you?

Now every evening, you could manually choose the Armed mode - which enables all three cameras.  At that point the side camera (like the other two), would be recording.

So if you were doing this manually, then all three cameras would operate exactly as you desire - do you agree?

Ok. so now let's talk about the schedule.  As I tried to say before, the schedule just changes the modes on a timetable, so you don't have to do it manually.  One schedule is enough for what you are trying to do - which is enable all three cameras at night (scheduling armed mode for those hours), but only two during the day (scheduling the custom mode).   

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation