Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
src720
Tutor
Tutor

Hello. I am frustrated by an frequent issue I am experiencing with my Arlo Pro 4 cameras. More often than not, there is a persistent crackling noise when viewing a live feed or a recording triggered from motion. At first I thought there was some interference with the cameras, but the issue is not consistent. Sometimes there is a crackle, sometimes not. I could play a live stream and it's fine, then stop and restart the stream and the noise is there. It is loud and covers any sound captured during a recording. I even received replacement cameras from Amazon, but the same issue occurs. Here is everything I tried:

1. Followed instructions from Arlo from a similar community post: removed/replaced batteries, restarted cameras, verified cameras have a strong connection to wi-fi, etc.
  2. I removed the cameras from the app and added them again
  3. Re positioned the cameras inside and outside
  4. Uninstalled the app and reinstalled (Android)
  5. Verified the latest version of the software is installed on my phone and the cameras also have the latest version of the firmware
  6. As mentioned above, I received replacement cameras from Amazon. Again I reinstalled the app and cameras

I tried everything above, but the noise persists. While I like the cameras, I cannot use them if there is aloud crackling sound over my recordings or live stream. I'll just have to return them if there is no resolution.

I can share a sample video, but am not sure how to do that here. Arlo support was friendly but not very helpful when I had an issue with my doorbell camera (Amazon replacement fixed the issue), so I am hoping someone from the community may be able to provide a solution. Thank you in advance.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

For those experiencing this behavior, if you feel your camera is defective or has a hardware issue that is causing these symptoms, I encourage you to reach out to support using the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support and open a ticket to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

104 REPLIES 104
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

src720,

If the issue persists even after replacing the cameras, this isn't likely to be a hardware issue.  Are there any other devices that you use that produce a strong WiFi signal that could be causing intermittent interference?

JamesC

src720
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC, agreed, and my suspicion has the software is the cause and not the cameras themselves. I had thought of whether other devices may be causing interference, however the only active device during my testing has been the wi-fi router itself. I would imagine if something is causing interference, the crackle noise would be more consistent. If the software is the cause, I am not sure if anything can be done about it.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am also having this problem. I have 7 Arlo Pro 4 cameras that either have a hissing sound or a loud static. They are connected to 2 VMB4000r2 hubs. My 3 Arlo Go cameras do not have this issue. I am not sure exactly when it started. I have had these cameras for about 4 months.  Any idea what is going on?

Redback37
Initiate
Initiate
EXACTLY my experience
src720
Tutor
Tutor

UPDATE:  I just went through another round of support with Arlo. Their first solution was for me to mute the audio on the live stream. Granted the video is the most important part of surveillance, but their suggestion is not a reasonable option. Then they kept asking me to reset the cameras, even though I mentioned I tried that previously. I don't have anything causing interference with them, and quite honestly, wouldn't (a) there be interference with the video as well, and (b) shouldn't they be of a better quality so that interference doesn't occur? I also told them that the replacement cameras I received from Amazon are doing the same thing. The end result was Arlo support suggesting that I get a refund. I really wanted the situation resolved so I could keep these cameras, but unfortunately it looks like they are going back.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which Hub(s) do you have?

src720
Tutor
Tutor
I don't have a hub for my cameras.
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting. I originally had the VMB4000r2 which I brought along from my Arlo Pro 2's since I like to have an SD card recording as well. I just recently switched to a VMB5000 smart hub and my problem seemed to subside. I wanted to be able to playback directly from the hub without the cloud interference. Since then my noise has pretty much gone except in q couple of instances. However I noticed it did update firmware on my cameras when I added them to the hub. Also I just in the past couple of days put a couple of them on wifi only as these hubs just a poor for distance much more than 30-40 feet regardless of what they say. I will let you know if I encounter any noise on the 2 cameras that are wifi only now.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think it is the firmware in the camera myself, especially if you are having trouble in wifi only mode.

WildlifePhotos
Initiate
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue.

No hub, just connected to a wifi router.  I have 3 Pro 4 cameras and 1 Essential.  The Essential works perfectly - no crackling noise at all.  All 3 of the Pro 4 cameras have the noise - whether inside the house, outside, under controlled conditions, etc.  I've done hard resets and the cameras still exhibit that behavior.  Thought it might be the signal - moved the cameras around, same results.  Got a refurbished replacement unit - same issue.  Not sure why Pro 4s have a problem here, but Arlo hasn't been very helpful.  Considering the following options:

1. Swap out all Pro 4 cameras for Essential (lose resolution, viewing angle, etc.)

2. Buy a hub and see if connectivity to that device solves the issue (really don't want more equipment)

3. To preserve resolution, buy an Ultra and see if that solves the problem

4. Switch out to a different brand (getting close to that)

Any other solutions or suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.

Bob114
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact problem here connected via vmb4500r2 hub.

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same problem and I have the 5000 hub so it does not help, so I would not spend the money on a hub. What I have noticed is that mine seem to do it most of the time at night when the spotlight is active. I am going to look at turning the spotlight off on one to see if that has any impact. 

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Once I did additional testing I did find that it seems to mainly be at night.  It does seem to be less frequent, but still occurs at night.

ada244
Initiate
Initiate

I just purchased four Pro 4 cameras and installed them around the house.  I have this same issue.  I have recordings during the same day on the same camera that have the crackling sound, and not 1 hour later on the same camera it is clear and crisp.  For the price of these cameras Arlo should be thinking about the customer experience and satisfaction of a first time buyer.

Kayaker4fun
Tutor
Tutor

I too have been experiencing the same crackling sound over the past several months on my one Arlo Pro 4 camera on my back patio.  I do not have this issue with my two Arlo Ultra 2 cameras.

I spent over three months with Arlo Support on another matter to no avail.   I even requested phone support vs. the non productive messaging, as I did every thing they requested and it did not resolve the issue.

I was able to get a resolution directly from Apple and it was quite simplistic, in retrospect.

After this dismal support experience, I do not have confidence in reaching back out to them for further issues.

I do believe that Arlo has a good product in their cameras, but when a company demonstrates such lackluster support, one begins looking at other options for future purchases.

#support

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Could you please share what the solution is that Apple provided you? I have an iPhone as well.

Thanks, Larry

Kayaker4fun
Tutor
Tutor

Larry,

The resolution from Apple was on another matter, as I indicated.  Sorry for any confusion.  I do not feel confident with Arlo Support in trying to resolve the crackling sound, thus I will not attempt to contact them on it.

#Support

MGaytan
Initiate
Initiate

Na, i have the same issue with the Pro 4 but not with the Pro. I upgraded to the 4 only to have this issue. I put the Pros back on with no issue and I may just keep the Pros up and return the Pro 4. 

chvo
Guide
Guide

I'm having this static chirping noise issue as well, brand new Pro 3 floodlight and Pro 4. Was fine for thr first couple of days, now noisy on recordings and live view. My existing Ultra is fine. So frustrating 😫

breal2316
Initiate
Initiate

anyone find a resolution yet? 

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bot as far as I know. I have even upgraded to the 5000 base station and did not make a difference. My Arlo Pro 2's never did this. Nobody from Arlo has even answered on here or offered any information.

Kayaker4fun
Tutor
Tutor

Extremely unpleased with lack of quality customer support with Arlo.  Thus as I noted previously, at this point, I will not even attempt to contact Arlo on this matter.  I had another matter that their customer support group spent nearly four months, to no avail, in providing a solution.  Instead, I contacted Apple directly, and they provided a quite simplistic solution, which I could have kicked myself for not thinking of.  I am beginning to research other options for my home security needs, after already having spent nearly $1,000 on Arlo devices.  

breal2316
Initiate
Initiate

Appreciate all this feedback. I’m returning mine back to Costco. 

chvo
Guide
Guide

Has Arlo support acknowledged the issue? Or are they still denying the issue. I wish I could return all my camera's but I'm too heavily invested in them. 

Discussion stats