Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 (Multiple Cameras) - Inconsistent Crackling Sound When Viewing or Recording

Discussion stats
src720
Tutor
Tutor

Hello. I am frustrated by an frequent issue I am experiencing with my Arlo Pro 4 cameras. More often than not, there is a persistent crackling noise when viewing a live feed or a recording triggered from motion. At first I thought there was some interference with the cameras, but the issue is not consistent. Sometimes there is a crackle, sometimes not. I could play a live stream and it's fine, then stop and restart the stream and the noise is there. It is loud and covers any sound captured during a recording. I even received replacement cameras from Amazon, but the same issue occurs. Here is everything I tried:

1. Followed instructions from Arlo from a similar community post: removed/replaced batteries, restarted cameras, verified cameras have a strong connection to wi-fi, etc.
  2. I removed the cameras from the app and added them again
  3. Re positioned the cameras inside and outside
  4. Uninstalled the app and reinstalled (Android)
  5. Verified the latest version of the software is installed on my phone and the cameras also have the latest version of the firmware
  6. As mentioned above, I received replacement cameras from Amazon. Again I reinstalled the app and cameras

I tried everything above, but the noise persists. While I like the cameras, I cannot use them if there is aloud crackling sound over my recordings or live stream. I'll just have to return them if there is no resolution.

I can share a sample video, but am not sure how to do that here. Arlo support was friendly but not very helpful when I had an issue with my doorbell camera (Amazon replacement fixed the issue), so I am hoping someone from the community may be able to provide a solution. Thank you in advance.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

For those experiencing this behavior, if you feel your camera is defective or has a hardware issue that is causing these symptoms, I encourage you to reach out to support using the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support and open a ticket to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

107 REPLIES 107
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

How long ago did you upgrade to the new version. How did you "force" it to upgrade.

Mine has been inconsistent where it may go for days or even a couple of weeks without problems, but always comes back. I also hear that you lose the custom mode as well. I would probably be willing to work around that if it fixes this annoying issue that has been occurring for the past year and a half.

Thanks.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did see where someone forced it by going halfway thru adding a security system, but I would be a bit hesitant to go that route as I a not sure what other issues I might encounter. I would think Arlo would have a standard way to perform this upgrade if it in fact fixes problems.

Thanks,

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lwthomas1 wrote:

I would think Arlo would have a standard way to perform this upgrade if it in fact fixes problems.

FWIW, they haven't yet, and the migration to "Feed" is definitely required to fix some problems.  Friend access is one where it is definitely required.  But I expect it might not solve the microphone crackling sound issue.  Personally I'd live with it for now (audio for me is "must have" for the doorbells, but more of a "nice to have" on the cameras).

At some point Arlo will migrate everyone to "Feed".  I think they were caught by surprise by the number of issues that surfaced last winter, and that delayed the migration.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. Yes I am wanting to just hold off on this whole thing until they get these other kinks out of the way.  This crackling is noisy and irritating at times, but does not interfere with usage. What is really annoying is that Arlo keeps telling me it is caused by some wifi issue, It IS NOT the WIFI. I still have some Arlo Pro2 cameras which I have since pulled off and they never had this issue. I added a couple of them back in a month or so back to see, and not a single problem on them. Not sure why they haven't fixed them. For now I will probably just hold fast and try to figure out a way to limit some of the "known" damage when I am forced to migrate. (Losing custom mode). At least now I have a known setup, and by upgrading now, I would probably encounter some more problems that would disrupt me.

You mentioned this firmware fixes adding a friend. I have my wife added and she has been for awhile and I have not had any problems with sharing the cameras etc. I even had to remove her ad re-add her a couple of months ago with no problem.

Anyway, I think I will probably stick with where I am at and get more feedback on IF this actually fixes the "crackling" noises. I have 2 people now who told me it did. If so, that would be good news, but I think I will still wait for this firmware to become more stable.  

I may try and setup a couple of these cameras on my other account  to see if I can experiment with this if it is possible. Do you know if you can setup multiple accounts on the same subscription or is the subscription account tied to an individual email. I don't think it will even work without a subscription so I may just have to wait until the dust settles. Ideally I would like to test it somewhere first, but I am not going to pay for another subscription just to test it.

Thanks.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

The crackling I am referring to is on playback and audio. Is that the same issue you are referring to as "Microphone crackling"

Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lwthomas1 wrote:

The crackling I am referring to is on playback and audio. Is that the same issue you are referring to as "Microphone crackling"

Yes.

@lwthomas1 wrote:

You mentioned this firmware fixes adding a friend. I have my wife added and she has been for awhile and I have not had any problems with sharing the cameras etc. I even had to remove her ad re-add her a couple of months ago with no problem.

The primary account + all friend accounts need to be either

• all "Feed" and "Dashboard" or 
  • all "Library"

New accounts appear to default to "Feed".

When the accounts mismatch, the only solution is to migrate all accounts in "Library" to "Feed".

@lwthomas1 wrote:

Do you know if you can setup multiple accounts on the same subscription

No.  A subscription applies to only one account.  And if you have "Feed" it only applies to one location in that account.

You cannot have two or more accounts using the same email address as the user name.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok thanks, I have another account I have not been using for a year or so. I may try to register it with a couple of these cameras. I guess if new accounts are automatically feed I could just use another email address and register a couple of cameras on it.

I will figure something out. 

Thanks for the information.

Arlo4s
Initiate
Initiate
Spoiler
 Connected to a VM4000R3 here, same issue.

Having the exact same issue. Have reset the cameras and removed and readded them.

When contacting support get the same old troubleshooting 101 to do the same things that I have done. That have not worked. I believe they know what the issue is and are choosing to look the other way. From an amazing product to poor sub par product and now we are forced to suck it up and fork out $119 a year for this garbage. Do better.

FlyingTypeS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also having this issue after upgrading from Pro 2 to Pro 4. My Pro 3 Floodlight works perfectly however. Interesting thing I found, one of my Pro 4 cameras is always plugged into power so I am able to use the Arlo Foresight feature, which records video 5 seconds before the motion triggering event. The Foresight audio is perfect, it NEVER has the crackling sound, which immediately starts at the 5 second threshold. 

cnsc74
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey FlyingTypeS,

Yes, It just so happens that I do have an AC outlet right by two of my Cameras in the back yard (one Pro 5S XL, and the other the Pro 4 in question. As previously mentioned, this is a known problem from Arlo with this model camera (& they continue to ship them out). The Pro 5S's (I now have) and the Ultra 2 cameras do not exhibit this problem & all 3 of my fist Pro 3 system cameras did not have this problem either. The defective Pro 4 has been sent back to Arlo's repair center, TraceLogix (in Memphis, TN). The new replacement Pro 4 that was sent out has the identical problem and I'm trying to get them to give me credit towards the purchase of another Pro 5 and/or Ultra Camera Kit. Does anyone know how to reach any customer support here in the states? All previous numbers point you back overseas to people you cannot even understand!!!! This is the Worse Customer Support service I have ever dealt with in my life!

lesoz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't have time to go through the support rigmarole at the moment but just throwing it out there that our three Pro 4 units have this issue too - two from a 2-pack and one from a separate 4-pack (other three from that pack not used yet but wouldn't surprise me if they're the same). Cameras are in varied indoor/outdoor locations, connected to an Asus RT-AC86U router, not a base station.

It's well beyond intermittent, affecting roughly a quarter or third of video recordings and live streaming instances. Nothing like this with our original Arlos, or the Pro and Pro 2 which we're still using.

EDIT: Hardware is VMC4041PAerH4, firmware 1.080.20.1_23_d50a19d.

Arlogenus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem with ALL Arlo 4 pro cameras.  Have many different models and no audio hissing and popping issue with ANT others.  Arlo should be ashamed of selling selling f#¢&ed up cameras without a conscience.  No excuse.....none at all.

jfulmer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I forced the upgrade to the latest version of the app, but I'm still experiencing crackling and popping on one of my pro4 cameras.

Chymoons
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally got the camera that I had a problem with quite. But first, let me mention everything I did to lead up to solution. First, I reset the hub, and this made no difference. Second, I have to wireless routers beside each other, and generally speaking this should not make a difference, but I listened live and as I thought it did not make a difference. And the last thing that I tried, which I should have started with because it took 10 seconds to fix, but this is what fixed it, open the camera itself and wait for it...remove the battery for 10 seconds and put it back in. My problem is now quite. I hope this helps others.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

James,

That hasn't really helped. After close to 2 years of trying to get this problem resolved. I finally got them to work with the

next level of support, not sure who they are called. They replaced 4 of my cameras and had me send four  of the cameras having the problem. Since all 11 of them have the problem I just picked 4 and sent them off to them. Of course the new ones they sent me had the same problem. That was 4 months ago. I get a message about once a month telling me they are still working on it. I have my doubts that they are placing any priority on resolving this as I have seen very few technical problems that are this severe and repeatable that have taken this long to resolve. If they are not able to resolve it, I will go with a different brand of camera once I get rid of these.

Larry

Faithtld123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Arlo and have for years, back to the original Pro. I recently bought 4 the Pro 4 and 2 of them crackle and it's very frustrating. I've tried all the troubleshooting but I'm thinking it's a camera issue and not a me or dozens of other people issue. 

roundball
Tutor
Tutor

It's definitely a Pro4 camera issue.
Turns out it’s been going on since Pro4’s were first released.

I installed Four Pro4 in the exact same locations, with all the exact same current high performance network hardware & software that I previously used Four Pro2 then Four Pro3 cameras with, and none of those 8 cameras ever had any 'static / crackling'  noise.

My four new Pro4's all have had this audio failure from day one, both using an Arlo base station and using direct WiFi…..AND Arlo Support has acknowledged it's a known problem.

But after weekly back and forth on my case # with them for 3 months now, they continue to dodge and refuse to commit that Arlo will repair or replace these Pro4's.

Consequently, by default, the logical assumption is that Arlo has no intention of owning, fixing or replacing Pro4’s with this new defective audio.

Cliffmc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve just downloaded the new UI and the noise is still there, intermittent but mostly there. Learning the new UI was easy but I hate change so the noise on the new Pro4 and learning the new UI has really got my goat. I’ll likely end up

returning these to Sam’s. 

Cliffmc
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE:

So today I got logged out. Odd I thought but it happens with tech. When I logged back in, there were changes to the UI new from the last UI I updated to yesterday. The big change is now the noises are, as of the time of this post, GONE! Arlo has my forum name and all the pertinent info about my versions and may have forced updates to fix the issue?? Maybe? Strange. In either case, good news. I suggest other doing the same as the previous post and force changing your UI and see if after you log in and log out if the issue also resolves itself.

Glad as I won’t have to re-box and do a return at Sams.

Good luck! YMMV.

roundball
Tutor
Tutor

Just following up...is the Pro4 noise still gone since you went to the new UI?

Thanks

Cliffmc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems to be. I say this as on one occasion the other day, it reappeared then was gone next time I checked and has remained noise free as of the time of this reply. 

Why do you ask if I may inquire?

roundball
Tutor
Tutor

"...Why don’t ask if I may inquire?..."

???

Cliffmc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Typo reread the edited ps.

why do you ask?

WildlifePhotos
Initiate
Initiate

I've been dealing with this ever since the Arlo Pro 4 came out.  I could list all the different ways I've tried to solve the problem - routers, different placements, replacement cameras, etc. but it's not worth my time.  The Arlo 3 camera I have works fine, the Arlo Pro 4 has issues.  Tech support is a joke.

Switch over to a different product.  Arlo has failed miserably to address this issue.

EOM

roundball
Tutor
Tutor

I've been screwed around with by Arlo support every week since November about four new Pro4 cameras I bought, all of which have that terrible static / crackling noise.

They've finally admitted it's a known problem but won't fix it the way every other good company product support does in the 21st century by replacing the expensive new defective Pro4's with new ones that work properly.

Discussion stats