Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CuJoe
Guide
Guide

I have Arlo Pro 4 with a VMB4540 hub. Using 4 cameras, 3 of which are now off the free trial so all 3 are using local storage. Android phone using app version 3.5.2_28385.

At times I have trouble accessing my local storage and get the error shown below.

"There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue. Try again."

Of course this is making me crazy as I can't help but feel this is an Arlo ploy to get me to subscribe. I rarely have this issue accessing videos of the one camera still using the Cloud/free trial.
When the error occurs I keep hitting "Try again" and sometimes the videos show up. Fortunately accessing the videos work most of the time - for now.
Assuming this is not an Arlo ploy, what the "heck" is it? Is there a setting I perhaps could set? It's very upsetting that this started happening after the free trial period ended (I would occasionally go into local storage during free trial and didn't have this issue).

Don't understand why this happens and, at the same time, why there is no issue accessing the Cloud videos from my one remaining camera still in the free trial. One would think accessing the local storage area would be much easier. Any ideas??

Another quick question: when I do get to local storage video and hit the "down arrow" to view said video, where am I actually downloading it to? A temporary buffer on the phone? Because after viewing the video I then have the option of actually downloading same to "Photos".

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CuJoe wrote:

One would think accessing the local storage area would be much easier. 

Definitely not the case.  It'd be great if Arlo reduced the friction here, but they haven't done anything to improve the feature since it was launched a couple years ago.  Of course they have no real incentive to do so.

There was a bug in the Android app related to local storage last month, which Arlo did fix.  What version of the app are you running (also, is it Android or iOS)?

@CuJoe wrote:

Another quick question: when I do get to local storage video and hit the "down arrow" to view said video, where am I actually downloading it to? 

This might depend on whether you use iOS or Android.  But I believe it is app storage, which can be cleared.

@CuJoe wrote:

Is there a setting I perhaps could set?

No settings, but you could try restarting the base, and see if that helps.

CuJoe
Guide
Guide

First, thanks for replying and giving me some input. Not sure what to think about lack of replies to this topic. I'm the only one who cannot get to local storage sometimes? It would seem to indicate something unique to me? My phone? Perplexing and upsetting all at the same time.

I've got an android phone running latest Arlo version 3.5.2_28385. I'm stumped. I'll have to submit the problem to support and hope they can give me something.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CuJoe wrote:

I'm the only one who cannot get to local storage sometimes?

I've seen it too. But it's not critical for me, since I do have a subscription.

CuJoe
Guide
Guide

What kind of phone do you have? Manufacturer and model if you don't mind.

I've got an almost new Samsung Galaxy S21 PLUS and, of course, it's an android.

When it happens to you, is there something you try that seems to work and you get to see the videos?

The following seems to work most of the time:

1. Close all user apps I've started that are running (including the Arlo app)

2. Restart my phone

3. (worst case) power cycle the base unit

Of course, sometimes none of the above work and I'm sitting there hitting "Try again" while uttering expletives in regards to the Arlo company.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CuJoe wrote:

What kind of phone do you have? Manufacturer and model if you don't mind.

iPhone 12 Mini

@CuJoe wrote:

When it happens to you, is there something you try that seems to work and you get to see the videos?

1. Force close the arlo app

2. powercycle base

3 restart phone

So same steps as you, just in a different order.  Though since I do have a subscription, I don't need to check on local videos very often.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation