Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
dradms
Follower
Follower

I set up an online account yesterday, and it seems to be working with two factor authenication for my phone.

1. Can I add my computer as a trusted device (it always asks for phone verification). I can understand that this might be no.

2. I would like to add my wife's phone as a trusted device (the iphone). I can get to the place where you can push a button to trust the phone, but it then gives an error saying to enable push notifications. How do I do that on the phone.

3. The fact that you can't play relatively small videos in the PC client is really annoying. That should be fixed.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dradms wrote:

1. Can I add my computer as a trusted device (it always asks for phone verification). I can understand that this might be no.

Not yet.  Arlo is saying that they will make 2FA mandatory once that is possible.

@dradms wrote:

2. I would like to add my wife's phone as a trusted device (the iphone). I can get to the place where you can push a button to trust the phone, but it then gives an error saying to enable push notifications. How do I do that on the phone.

Note the app (and web ui) only support one log in at a time.  Normally people set up a separate account for each family member using the system, and then use "friend" access to allow access and control.  The separate account would have its own 2FA.  https://kb.arlo.com/000039122/How-do-I-add-friends-to-my-Arlo-account

As far as push notifications go, it does depend on whether the phone is Android or iOS.  Look at the "system level" sections of the posts below:

@dradms wrote:

3. The fact that you can't play relatively small videos in the PC client is really annoying. That should be fixed.

I am thinking you have a camera that is producing 2K or 4K video.

If so, there's no easy fix.  Arlo is using HEVC video encoding (built into the camera hardware), and most Windows browsers have chosen not to support that due to licensing costs. 

If you have a PC that has hardware support for HEVC/H.265 playback, it will work in the Edge browser.  But you would need to get an HEVC browser extension (and at the moment Microsoft charges a small amount for that extension). 

A clumsy workaround is to download the video, and play it with the VLC media player.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation