Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
lbd88a
Aspirant
Aspirant

After the subscription expired,  I learned about the arlo's company's disappointing remote features,  I purchased the camera so I would have the ability to detect motion when I am not home.  Now that the subscription has ended, I learn in order to have this feature I HAVE TO PAY.  Now I can port forward but was told that will only tell me there is motion and I do not have access to the video away from my router.  Like that is a helpful security feature. What a scam!  Sorry I purchased this and will be selling it to go with another company that doesn't require a monthly fee.

5 REPLIES 5
dcfox1
Master
Master

It says right on the box and product page "3 month smart trial included". Not sure what you expected after that. But I always research before making a big purchase. You can still use local storage for recordings. 

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

lbd88a
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes you are correct.  I am referring to the ability to access without subscription.  I was told you could do it via port forwarding to you cell phone.  Yet now I'm told you will only get a notification and not any video!  Again what kind of feature is that and it forces you to purchase a subscription.  BYW the box says Trial included cloud recording -- requires sub after that.  Doesn't indicate the limitations if you opt to use port forwarding when away from base station. Regarding the comment to do research before purchasing....  Don't know how much additional research is needed when the arlo tech team tell you that port forwarding will allow access to download video from your flash which is connected to the home station all from your cell phone when you are outside your home internet.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You should have replied to your other message rather than starting a new one to keep continuity.

Port forwarding has nothing to do with your phone - it's a router thing that allows access from outside to an internal device. This also requires that you are using a base or SmartHub with local recording set up. A sub is needed for cloud recording as well as Smart notifications - without a sub you get a local recording and a plain notification.

ALso, there's no limitations to use port forwarding - it's just a feature that's available whether you have a subscription or not.

lbd88a
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the information.  I do have a  base unit.  I used my phone to get access to the app and get the information for ports.  I then went to my computer to access my router and put in the information.  which didn't work,  tech support thought it was an issue with the base station which they will replace.  Hope this is the fix? any experience on your end.  Also was told from 2 did tech support.  One said that by using port forward when away it will only give me notification of movement but not allow me to download clip another call and another tech told me I would get notification and will be able to download a clip.  Don't know which is correct? Any thoughts?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would guess the latter but don't know for sure.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation