Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired camera pros and cons. help needed

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

I recently wired my Pro 3 outdoor camera.  Seems to work well enough with the battery left in.  I now have activity zones with no subscription.  Problem is the sensitivity at night.  Every car light that hit on or near my porch sets it off.  Any suggestion other than lower the sensitivity as it seems to detect the light as motion and it would be very close,  I have tried it with spot on and off,  Currently spot off and night vision on.  Did not act this way on battery power.  Would adding the activity zone caused this change?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

Yep, that is what I think is happening.  Funny that it never did it when I was on battery power only.  Lowering the sensitivity is not a solution as it is shadows on the porch.  If I lower it low enough to avoid them, I have eliminated virtually all motion.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Simple answer... try and adjust the angle of the camera away from cars.

Since PIR device that senses motion is really only good for people out to 25 ft, the camera should be angled better to avoid roads ( also since you can't really see plates or ID type photos at distance ).

I would concentrate the camera view to what it's detection range is.

Prob not the zone at all.

The issue may be the AC power... don't remember for the Pro3, but some cameras change how they react ( detect motion ) when ac power is used.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

It is not the motion that is the problem.  Cars and road are out of field.  The headlights shine on the porch and seem to set it off.  Did not do this on battery.  

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@jsaus63304 

When the light  shine's on the porch it causes a shadow effect that moves as the car goes by. Shade from tree limbs and such will also do the same. Other than lowering the sensitivity there's little that you can do to correct this.

jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

Yep, that is what I think is happening.  Funny that it never did it when I was on battery power only.  Lowering the sensitivity is not a solution as it is shadows on the porch.  If I lower it low enough to avoid them, I have eliminated virtually all motion.  

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation