Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
skaggsjw
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a three Arlo Pro 3 cameras, 1 Arlo flood light cam, 1 video doorbell and a hub. Anyone have a best practice to follow on connecting to WiFi vs the hub. I have everything connected through the hub now with the idea of local storage but I have a big house. The signals show a pretty strong connection but some drop connection for a period of time. With the newest versions of the product coming out hubless, I’m thinking that the hub has caused so many support issues that they are abandoning it. Compared to Nest, my setup is pretty unreliable. But I’m a HomeKit guy. I’m considering moving some or all to direct connect to WiFi because I have really good coverage from my multiple point Eero system. Thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro 3 only connects to a hub, not your WiFi. The doorbell and floodlight can connect via WiFi. It would seem that if your problems are with the doorbell and floodlight, use of WiFi could help (no guarantee since it depends on your environment).  At least that way you could position the hub for the Pro 3 cameras to be more optimal. Try moving the hub away from your router (or satellite) and check for other 2,4GHz wireless devices that could be interfering with the signal between the hub and cameras.

skaggsjw
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the reminder on the hub only requirement for the pro 3. I guess I had mixed it up with what I had read with the WiFi capable devices.
Karrie4225
Aspirant
Aspirant

How would I set up if I have a router then? There is only 1 spot for the ethernet cable, it goes from my modem to my router

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The router itself (almost) always has more than one Ethernet port. The typical scenario is to have one set off by itself for the modem<>router connection and then 4 more for connecting other devices. If yours only has that one to connect to the modem, use a WiFi extender. That will connect to your WiFi and will also have an Ethernet port for the base or hub to connect to.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation