Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Hoathai88
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why is my cameras all glitchy? Is someone trying to jam my signal, WiFi strength is maxed and one can’t connect. And how do I post a video? It says my video does not have the correct extension or something
7 REPLIES 7
Hoathai88
Aspirant
Aspirant
https://vimeo.com/419551976
This is my phone recording to show. And yes I know it’s bad to point at the house and have IR pointing towards each other but it’s how I prefer it but cameras are glitchy and 1 out of 4 isn’t even connecting at all. Please help.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hoathai88 wrote:
 but cameras are glitchy and 1 out of 4 isn’t even connecting at all. Please help.

What you are seeing is video corruption due to loss on the connection path (camera->base->phone, or possibly camera->base->arlo cloud -> phone).

• Is this a new installation, or is this a new problem with an installation that was working well before?
  • How far are the cameras from the base?
  • Are you seeing this in recordings, or only live streaming?

There are quite a few new reports about video quality issues, so it might be linked to a recent update (cloud, firmware, or app).   

However, if this is a new install, you should try moving one of the cameras closer to the base, and see if the connection quality improves.  If the base is close to your router, try moving it further away (as far as the ethernet cord will reach), and see if that makes any difference.

Hoathai88
Aspirant
Aspirant
So this is an old setup, not a new install either. Just finished my 3 month trial and 3/4 cameras been crapping out on me. The one that can’t even connect is in the driveway which is like 15 feet from modem. The glitchiest camera is the closes to the base but it says it has the least signal. And these are all during live replays.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If your base is right next to your router, then try moving it as far away as the ethernet cord will reach.  That would take care of any wifi interference (or rule it out if nothing changes).

Hoathai88
Aspirant
Aspirant
The router is like 7-8 feet from the base station. Can rule that out. Also doesn’t explain why the closest camera shows the weakest signal. Might just give up on these cameras and get wired ones. Seemed to crap out once the trial was over and even during the trial the cameras were having a lot of issues.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hoathai88 wrote:
The router is like 7-8 feet from the base station. Can rule that out. 

Agreed.

@Hoathai88 wrote:
 Also doesn’t explain why the closest camera shows the weakest signal.

If you want to pursue that, then perhaps measure the base station signal strength near the camera locations.  Wifi signals do bounce around, so there could well be multipath or some signal blockage happening at the nearest camera. There are free apps available for android and laptops - but I don't believe there are for iOS.

Another thing to try is to swap the cameras and see if you get the same signal strength reading with another one in the same location.

Hoathai88
Aspirant
Aspirant
An update after 2 years of use. I had the Arlo pro 2 and I really liked it. It had its flaws but still worth the struggle. Then came out the Pro 3 which I thought would be a game changer since it was 2k video. I’m more surprised that this version was this terrible. Mine connects super slow during motion detection, the recording is also glitchy, the Corners on my lenses are blurry and it fogs up so quick even though it’s suppose to be sealed. Basically the first 6 months I was just getting irritated with it, after the 1st year I turned it on once in awhile, and the second year I didn’t even notice it was still plugged in. So was the jump from pro 2 to pro 3 worth it? Absolutely not. The customer service is also as terrible as the product. Overpriced as terribly bad
B4D0661C-50AB-4812-A404-A23DFB9CC9AE.png
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation