Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What Happens when Arlo Pro 3 with base station has internet go down

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pat0110
Follower
Follower

I have the Arlo Pro 3 with a base station.  I am a little confused as to what happens when our internet goes down.  Does the camera still record videos during an internet outage or the home's wifi is off?  I newly purchased the Arlo Pro 3 so I haven't gotten a clear answer as to what happens.  I do not currently have a subscription if that helps.  The thing that makes it more confusing is that even when my internet is down, sometimes my available networks (when on my laptop and trying to find/connect to wifi) shows Arlo_VMB.

ANy help /clarification is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera has no storage, so recordings have to be saved in the cloud or locally in the base.

If you've connected USB storage to the base station, then you will get local recordings as long as the base is powered (assuming of course that the camera battery is charged).   

You can also get a UPS for the base (and maybe also your router and modem if you have one), with enough capacity to cover typical power outages in your area.

@pat0110 wrote:

The thing that makes it more confusing is that even when my internet is down, sometimes my available networks (when on my laptop and trying to find/connect to wifi) shows Arlo_VMB.

Whenever the base is powered, you will see this network.  As @Dannybear says, that is the closed wifi that the cameras use to connnect to the base.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dannybear
Master
Master
The wifi SSID with VMB comes from the Base station which is a closed wifi for the camera communication.

If you’re camera is externally powered and internet is lost then it will not record to the base station.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera has no storage, so recordings have to be saved in the cloud or locally in the base.

If you've connected USB storage to the base station, then you will get local recordings as long as the base is powered (assuming of course that the camera battery is charged).   

You can also get a UPS for the base (and maybe also your router and modem if you have one), with enough capacity to cover typical power outages in your area.

@pat0110 wrote:

The thing that makes it more confusing is that even when my internet is down, sometimes my available networks (when on my laptop and trying to find/connect to wifi) shows Arlo_VMB.

Whenever the base is powered, you will see this network.  As @Dannybear says, that is the closed wifi that the cameras use to connnect to the base.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation