Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
karlckloh
Tutor
Tutor

The first 3 months with the complimentary cloud storage was flawless.

I was unable enable the "RECORD LOCALLY" button  in the iOS app, which I could during the first 3 months.

How is that so? Must I subscribe to record the files locally?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Recent firmware releases for the Arlo Base Station/SmartHub have fixed bugs that resulted in this issue. If you're still experiencing issues with local storage, please open a new thread here in the community.

For more information on local storage and the minimum requirements, take a look here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

JamesC

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

karlckloh,

When you say you were unable to enable this. What exactly are you experiencing? Do you see any error messages?

JamesC

karlckloh
Tutor
Tutor

I’m getting the following error message when I enter “Storage Settings” from the iOS app.

Local Storage: Error SD card < 16 GB

Available Storage 163.71MB used of 19...

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@karlckloh wrote:

Local Storage: Error SD card < 16 GB

Does that mean that you are using a card < 16 GB?

Recent messages suggest that there has been a change and the local storage fails with cards smaller than 16 GB. (I can't find the messages thanks to the hopeless search tool.)

If so, do you have a bigger card you can  try?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ChrisP33
Star
Star

Hello, I’m a french user of ARLO PRO 3 and I Have exactly the same problem. All was working perfectly but  one day no more local record and the same message as yours on card capacity. I’m still waiting a proper answer from ARLO, they told me that engineer are advised. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ChrisP33,

What capacity is the storage device you're using?

JamesC

ChrisP33
Star
Star

Hi, when  all were working, I used a 500Go flash disk and now I have tried with a 128Go USB key, 64Go SD Card and the IOS software always indicate an error : SD CARD < 16Gb. 

RStroup
Initiate
Initiate
I’m having the same issue. My 500 GB drive was working fine up to 3/31/2020 (same date as the last firmware update).
ChrisP33
Star
Star

HI, same date no more local record after 3/31/2020. 

karlckloh
Tutor
Tutor

The error message was showing < 16GB, yet at the page it’s showing available storage of 190+GB... 

I have a 200GB hard drive hooked up. If I recall right it was after firmware update.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

It is beginning to look like the firmware update that removed support for small (< 16GB) cards has a bug that also blocks bigger drives.

Is it just the VMB4540 that has this issue?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those who are experiencing this issue, could you provide a screenshot of the error message you're seeing?

JamesC

ChrisP33
Star
Star

Hi, of course, but french version with a usb key.

Chris

ChristopheC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is what I see. I have a 32GB USB drive connected to the SmartHub.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the screenshot. I've escalated the information here and will provide an update once the development team has investigated this issue.

JamesC

karlckloh
Tutor
Tutor
Please see attached.
Noslek
Initiate
Initiate
Same here. Was working fine but stopped after last firmware update at end of March.
ChrisP33
Star
Star

Hi, I had an answer from Arlo french support , they are working on it but still waiting for a corrective patch.

RStroup
Initiate
Initiate
I think at this point Arlo should be giving us free Cloud Recording until the issue is resolved. Without the ability for local recording, these cameras are useless if we need to see something that’s happened in the past.
karlckloh
Tutor
Tutor
Without local recording, all my 6 cameras are useless for the past months. Please consider at least 7 days cloud recording till the problem is fixed.
ChrisP33
Star
Star

Hello, I've the same issue, very disappointed by Arlo, my free period has expired and now no more record, only alert. The problem has started the  March 31 and I saw a new update the April 30 but no corrective. 

AZjobo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another customer here who's local storage was working fine, and now doesn't work at all.  I tried 2 different USB sticks this morning.

I'm disappointed like the other paying customers that this firmware bug has not been resolved.

Otherwise, I really like most of the features and flexibility of this system.

Arlo would be wise during these difficult times to consider some form of retention/rebate  offer to it's monthly subscribers. IMG_1EFE5D80C3CC-1.jpeg

Nigel-T
Tutor
Tutor

I have this issue too -  trying to connect a 256GB Sandisk SSD, pre-formatted in FAT32.

Says Error: SD card <16 GB.

I've tried a regular 500GB HDD and that works OK. Prefer to use the SSD though.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Nigel-T wrote:

I have this issue too -  trying to connect a 256GB Sandisk SSD, pre-formatted in FAT32.

Have you tried formatting the Sandisk in the hub itself?

I have been having severe issues with a 128GB Sandisk. It ended up completely messed up.  I resorted to a hub reformat. I'll see how it pans out.

Just another user
Nigel-T
Tutor
Tutor

It doesn't give me the option with that error message - won't even allow you to turn on local storage.

Thanks for the quick reply though.

Discussion stats