Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 38 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I noticed that by the end of this Year Arlo will require everyone to use the two-step verification to log in. For those of you that use it now are you required to go through this every time, even when you use the same computer or smart phone?

The reason I ask is that I thought I would go ahead and try it so I enabled it in my settings. I then got a code to log in with. Everything went great and I thought that when I logged in again with the same computer that Arlo would remember that computer. Well the next time I had to go through this whole process again. Surely this is not the way it's supposed to be is it? I for one hope not, I find it a bit aggravating having to go through this every time.

For the time being I have disabled again while waiting for verification.

22 REPLIES 22
dcfox1
Master
Master

I had Ring when they went to 2FA and I had to do it every time. I switched to Arlo since  Ring had  30 second max recordings on battery cams but still hated the 2FA. I hope the trusted device's works on Arlo. 

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Quick follow up,

After reading all the information that goes with the two step verification I see where it states that you can have up to 5 trusted devices. There's a process for setting it up on both your smart phone and your pc. (It would be nice if you could see and or edit your trusted devices also)

Everything works great with my smart phone. I just use my fingerprint and log in as always.

That's not the case with the pc. Every time I log in on my pc I have to go through the two step process again. I tried this 6 times just to verify this. This is very frustrating as I use my pc way more than my phone.

@JamesC  can you verify the above and have someone check it on your end? Is there something else I need to do? I followed all the instructions, it works with my smart phone but not my pc.

I have a Dell pc with windows 10 version 1909 OS Build 18360-900

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

K80Shooter,

This is expected behavior. Only mobile devices using the Arlo Mobile app can be select as trusted devices.

JamesC

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JamesC  Thanks for the response.

There should be a way for pc's to be added. I know for banks you can use either pc or phones. Maybe it's cost prohibited. Either way I for one am not looking forward to the switch.

I assume we will not have a choice in this either. It will sure make things hard for us older people that use the pc for everything because we cant see good. Bigger is better for some things, lol.

mitch_i
Guide
Guide

I monitor my cameras from an iPad on the second floor and a Windows PC in the basement, and I use each one several times a day. I just set up two-step verification on the iPad, and it looks like every time I want to log on to the PC I have to rush upstairs to approve the logon. (I don't want to use the cell phone.)

Is there a way to set this up to avoid rushing up and down the steps several times a day?

jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

Seems that way.  Every time I want to log into my PC, I must have my phone in my hand and confirm within 30 seconds that I approve myself.  

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When I 1st tried it and asked questions I then thought this would be a pain in the rear for a lot of us. I only hope that enough people complain so Arlo will take the steps to fix this issue. Only time will tell. It will not be long before it is a requirement. That's when I expect to see a lot more complaining.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

The move to two-step verification is a foolish move. If I have to wait for and input a code every time I want to check the cams (which I do several times a day), it makes the process more cumbersome than it's worth. RE trusted devices: why cant every device I use be trusted, omnce I establish it as so?

mitch_i
Guide
Guide

I just talked to a live-chat representative about this. The bottom line is that on Sep. 30 my workflow will stop working. Windows PCs can't be set up as trusted devices, since there's no Arlo app in the Microsoft Store.

I was hoping the Surface Go 2 would be my solution, since 99% of my experience is with Windows, and I'm very comfortable with Windows file management. I need to download the videos, immediately rename them one at a time, and save them to a folder on my main Windows system. These tasks seem cumbersome on the iPad Pro. I'll look into getting an Android tablet.

Any other suggestions?

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So why cant Arlo furnish a app to the Microsoft Store? The least they could do is to give us an option to opt out.

EvanEscent
Guide
Guide

A person's PC absolutely should be "trusted" and not subject to repeated two-step verification every time one logs in. This is a basic, well-developed, mature technology used by banks, corporations, utilities, government agencies, etc. for years. I hope and expect that Arlo will soon upgrade their software to meet this existing standard.

-EE

bburtin
Initiate
Initiate

Another vote for making 2FA less onerous for web users.  2FA should only be used when someone is logging in from a device for the first time.  It's painful to have to do 2FA on every login.  To make matters worse, Arlo doesn't allow you to copy/paste the 6-digit code.  I use 2FA on many services, and this is by far the most painful implementation.

BernCreek
Initiate
Initiate

Having 2 step verification on top of how long it takes to bring up a video means I will be to late to confront an an intruder.    2 step verification should be an option.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I have also noticed that even though I have had two-step setup for a very long time now, I am still promoted to set it up every time I use the app.  What is wrong with Arlo development?  This is nuts...and totally annoying.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tons of complaints about forced 2 step access every time, yet no reply from any of Arlo's "good Germans." Is this going to be a problem for Mac users? 

mitch_i
Guide
Guide

"I have also noticed that even though I have had two-step setup for a very long time now, I am still promoted to set it up every time I use the app. "

I haven't had it set up for a long time, but I'm seeing the same thing. I thought it was just me.

mitch_i
Guide
Guide

"Tons of complaints about forced 2 step access every time, yet no reply from any of Arlo's "good Germans.""

I don't expect a company response on this forum, but we should continue sharing our experiences and reactions.

I'm hoping they've postponed the implementation in order to finish developing a Windows app or some other solution.

iknoian
Initiate
Initiate

I enabled two-step because I was told I had to.  It is awfull.   I can't use my laptop as a "trusted device".  I must have my cell phone beside me to "authorize".  Half the time, no authorization note arrives on my cell phone at all and I must start all over again. I contacted tech support and I receive multiple responses from them, but no usefull answers.  A PAIN!

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Two-step verification isn't about protectIng the customer, it's about protecting Arlo. The attorneys made them do it. Arlo accounts will get hacked. Everything gets hacked eventually. But now Arlo can say we tried to protect our customers, so you can't sue us. It's insurance against a class action. Arlo is going to get steamrolled anyway. Nest and Vivint are going to slaughter Arlo in the long run. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Same here.  I’m having a heck of a time with my browser login and it doesn’t matter which browser I use.  No matter what, it doesn’t recognize my device even if I’m already using that device and logged in via the mobile app.  Also, when I send an invitation to share a camera from another account (one I manage for a friend), the share link will only open the browser interface.  It will not open the mobile app where my device is clearly known (it works) and I’m logged in.  

How the heck does anyone share a camera with me now if the browser is the only way to accept the invitation and it won’t recognize the device?  

dcfox1
Master
Master

@AncientGeek  Computers are not a trusted device per Arlo. Not sure why but that is the way they do it. It is just phones. Not sure if the Ipad is with the app. 

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

I downloaded the app update. It looked and performed exactly like the earlier version, so much so that I was wondering if the download worked until I noticed I also had a "legacy" Arlo on the phone. However, it's never asked me for 2FA yet continues to function properly. Not sure why, but then, It's Arlo. No point looking for logic.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 38 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation