Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Motion Issues

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
callum32991
Follower
Follower
I am having significant issues with my set up. I have three cameras set up in my front yard. I have done motion detection test and camera positioning set up as per instructions.

Miraculously a mail man was able to enter my property, place a parcel on the top of stairs and motion did not start until he was half way back down the driveway to the car. All three cameras should be picking up this motion. One side placed and the others front on.

I am very confused why I am getting hundreds of notifications for cars travelling in the distance across the road etc but the important motion is not being recorded. I have checked motion sensitivity on each camera 10-100 and no luck.

This is becoming incredibly frustrating and I’m starting to think the cameras could be faulty. Last night they appeared to work perfectly and captured a few cats in my yard. Then after 6:00am I was bombarded with motion notifications of nothing happening.

Also, the video is stopping recording when motion is still occurring.

Any suggestions here?
2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Camera positioning so that motion is across the FOV and not at the camera is important as with any device that uses PIR motion sensors. In addition, motion sensitivity can be changed in your modes and rules (the test doesn't save 'cause it's just a test). Read the FAQs here in the support area for best camera positioning practices as well as creating and modifying modes and rules.

Cars (and other objects such as leaves) cause the sun's very strong IR to be reflected, causing false triggers. Again, best camera positioning so the street isn't in view is a good way to eliminate these recordings.

Use of "record while motion continues" means the camera has to be able to detect the motion, not your eye. The distance of the motion as well as speed, etc. all gets in there. People can only be detected out to ~25 feet but that's a max, not a guarantee.

Allen012
Tutor
Tutor

Hey, just curious if you found a resolution?  Looks like you only posted this a few weeks ago.  I'm having the same issues w/my pro3 and looking for recommendations.  Main issue is motion detection/recording starting late and catching the Amazon guy walking back to his truck having missed most of the motion all together.  

Someone posted an interesting point saying that once motion is detected the camera sends the image/data to the hub which analyzes it determining what type of motion it is (person, animal etc) and then formats the clip and sends it to your device.  This slows the entire process creating a 10-30 second lag in the time motion is detected to the time you get the clip.  Any thoughts?  I've read that Ring and Nest have no lag at all due to the lack of having to analyze the motion and not having to use a hub which is a rather useless middle man slowing things down.  

Lastly, wifi speed seems to be important.  The signal strength your Cameras are getting has a lot to do with the time it takes a clip to get to your phone from the time your camera senses motion.  All 3 of my cameras get a "strong" signal, but there's still a serious lag in the time motion is captured and when I receive a motion alert.  Something tells me the Hub creates a lag where other camera systems not using a hub seem to be more speedy in motion events.  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation