Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RA88IT
Follower
Follower
Hi All

I have just set up a Arlo 3 two cam system. Little confused about the smart notifications combined with activity zones. Can someone clarify if this is correct

If you set activity zones all motion in the set zones irrespective of your smart notification settings is detected and sent as a notification and all motion outside the activity zone is detected in accordance with the smart notification settings.

If not correct how do both functions work together ?

I have a headache

Cheers
Ryan
2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe it's because I'm old but I've had issues understanding how this works, too. This is how it was explained to me:

Zones essentially are a filter. When the camera detects motion the cloud looks at that motion and checks to see if it's inside or outside the defined activity zone. If it's inside the zone, a notification is sent and a recording is saved (appearing in the library). If it's outside the zone, no notification is sent and no recording is saved.

The presence or absence of an activity zone doesn't change whether or not motion is detected and recorded, it simply filters the resulting recording or silences the push notification based on whether or not that activity occurred within the zone. This is why activity zones don't save battery life and recordings that show up in local storage sometimes aren't also present in the cloud.

Blkthght06
Initiate
Initiate

@jguerdat Your answer completely answered my question.  Thank you.  I could not figure out why I was getting so many motion detection recordings in my local storage but would never receive a notification.  Thank you again.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation