Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Doubleuwong
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Team, I am currently using a USB stick on the back of the hub to record, at the moment I can only retrieve the recordings while I'm on the same network, ie at home, but able to see a live feed while I away but unable to retrieve recordings while away from home, the app says I require port forwarding on my router, which is already enabled, is there a setting that lets me retrieve recordings while on another network?

thanks Warren

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The port forwarding, if set up according to what the app tells you to use, is what's needed to view recordings remotely (a VPN is another possibility if your router supports that). Note that reboots of your router and/or hub may change the IP address which will break the port forwarding so set a static IP address for the hub in the router LAN settings.

8alzd33p
Tutor
Tutor
GURU, would it be possible to set the Arlo backup as a FTP (access via url & password/token)
Backup would have to connected to LAN of course, PLEX?

Another question, If you would setup your router (WRT/tomato) input your VPN credentials etc.. you could remain DHCP instead of being wise and assigning static ip’s??

These are the longest options but I’m seriously asking. I’m about to start on the same task.

Arlo Suggestion:
It would be nice to know that Local Record drive successfully formats. Add status bar as format .exe followed by complete.
Also, the disclaimer states user contact usb manufacturer to figure out compliance. I know green light red light is not an option. You could add more details on what the user can use
ie...usb 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, gen1, gen2
I think it says the acceptable file allocation-NTFS, Fat32...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, there's no option to record to anything other than a locally attached drive. You can pull the card and manually copy the contents to a NAS.

Use of a VPN eliminates the need for static IPs. It's the port forwarding that's specific to the IP address. Of course, you can set a static IP address for devices using DHCP.

WHen formatting the drive using the app, I get a "Formatting" message followed by a display showing 0 bytes used with the formatted capacity. This is your indication that formatting is complete. If the format fails, you'd get a message to that effect.

The USB ports are version 2.x since the throughput is never higher than what that can sustain. You can use 3.x devices but they will use 2.x speeds. AFAIK, virtually any 16GB or larger thumb drive will work but hard drives may have issues, perhaps due to whether they're powered from the port or an external power supply. Thumb drives are far easier and cheaper to use in this usage.

As for the exact format, almost any consumer device uses FAT32 as the format since it's ubiquitous. Other formats would have certain attributes that could be useful but they're really not necessary in these cases. My brand new, high-end Canon camera also uses FAT32 for exactly these reasons.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation