Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pastorsuzie
Guide
Guide

So I just set up open vpn on my Asus router and enabled local storage access as instructed in the support article.  The support article simply ends with we recommend using vpn to access local recordings remotely.  There are no further instructions for accessing via vpn.  The remote device I am most likely to access with is an iphone.  Since there are not any other instructions from Arlo at all am I to assume that I could be out on my cellular provider and go to library and access the recordings.  Just making sure there are no other steps from anyone that has this set up.  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A VPN installation has nothing to do with Arlo. You would need to use the router setup to do that. I'm not familiar with how Asus may provide that - check your documentation or Asus' website for help.

pastorsuzie
Guide
Guide

The router is set up.  That is not the issue.  Arlo's specific instructions are you can access local recordings on your basestation via vpn remotely.  I am simply asking anyone accessing local recordings remotely how they do this on the mobile side.  Is there anything special.  Do you connect your remote device to your vpn network to get access to the local recordings etc???  I do appreciate the response

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes that makes sense, Arlo should provide even a basic set of instructions as to how to access their smart hub remotely using a personal VPN.

It’s a pretty common practice, many other companies out there do that with their products.

Sounds like the difficulty is in the making it work, more so than just VPN setup in a router and installing an OpenVPN app.

It would be helpful to know what needs to be done in order to establish remote connection to Arlo smart hub.

Paul

pastorsuzie
Guide
Guide

Yes exactly,  That is what I'm looking for a little more than "we recommend using a VPN to access local recordings" 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of a VPN requires both ends to be set up. Setting up the VPN on the router then requires use of the appropriate VPN client on the phone. That's all spelled out by the router manufacturer and may vary widely from vendor to vendor. That's not an Arlo issue.

pastorsuzie
Guide
Guide

So two points,  1) As noted when Arlo is specifying in their instructions there should be more guidance as noted..  2) This is very much an appropriate forum to ask other Arlo users using remote local storage access via vpn how they did so.  

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

There are also some hardware specific notes/suggestions applicable to “how to connect through a VPN”, in this case Arlo Smart Hub.

Certainly, Arlo doesn’t have to provide that......nor a product user guide or any documentation for that matter. It’s only common sense, when a vendor claims users can remotely connect to their products in different ways, they’re also expected to provide the “how to”. Understood, VPN router setup it’s not their problem, telling users how to connect to their smart hub via a VPN is or at least it should be.

Paul

pastorsuzie
Guide
Guide

So I hate it when these forums are left unresolved for future searches.  So I came back to give the basic steps for anyone else looking.

1)  You have to have a VPN capable router and vpn set up on it.  (See router and your VPN provider instructions for specifics)

2) Go to Open VPN Server in your router settings and set up an open vpn server.  (again your router and vpn will have specific instructions/ settings)

3)  On your mobile device download Open Vpn or other app for accessing an open vpn.  Open and set up and log into your open vpn  with the settings used on the router.  

4) You should now be able to go to the arlo app library and access local storage when away.  

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation