Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Push Notifications going to removed Device / Friend!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
777pj777
Star
Star

Hi,

I have two separate ARLO Hubs - one connected to four Arlo Ultra's, the other connected to three Arlo 3's. The Ultra's are my 'outside' network and the Pro 3's are indoors. When I first setup the units, as I wanted the indoor network to geofence ON / OFF depending on when I (or my partner at the time) were in the house, I added my partner's phone as a device in the Arlo App. This was approximately 2 years ago, so the exact terminology may now be different. 

This setup worked as it should, disabling the system whenever I or my partner were in the house, however, my partner also received push notifications when the indoor cameras were activated - I thought this a little odd, so

I subsequently removed my partner's device from the Arlo App. Unfortunately, this has not stopped her receiving the Push Notification upon motion, as well as the image taken from the capture. To reiterate, there is no other device, other than my phone listed in the Enabled Devices in the Geofencing section, nor are there any Friends listed in my account. 

Clearly, there is a significant privacy issue here - no-one other than those I explicitly allow should be receiving anything from my camera setup.

Please advise asap.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

777pj777,

If you add the device back within the Grant Access settings and then remove again, do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

777pj777
Star
Star

Hi James

Appreciate the reply, however this isn't really appropriate. I should not have to ask someone that I no longer may have contact with to troubleshoot my Arlo application.  I have no one granted access, yet they are still receiving push notifications. This is a pretty sizable privacy issue. As it happens, I am still on friendly terms with this person, however if this was acrimonious in any way, this could be very different. Since I posted in the forum, I now have an open support case...you guys have said that you can still see the linked user on your end, yet it is removed in my app. Clearly this is something gone awry in your backend.

I will let Support do their thing, however I would reiterate that I first raised this in 2020. I gave up then as I could not get an answer from anyone. 

Data privacy is absolutely paramount and if you cannot guarantee this (nor take it seriously), I worry for the long term future of Arlo.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

777pj777,

I will review your support ticket and escalate as necessary. 

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation