Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro3 camera behind a window

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BehindTheGlass
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,
As you might have supposed, I have mounted my camera behind a window to monitor my yard. Actually, to monitor an area where another camera was vandalized. I have cameras pointed at cameras. You get it. Neighbor poisoned my dog kind of situation here. So question. As I don't want this camera vandalized I put it inside looking out. The problem: no motion detection. Should this camera work as installed or should I just give my neighbor my dog and the camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It will NOT work thru windows due to glass…glass blocks most IR and the camera uses a PIR device to sense motion 

But a Q camera or the Essential indoor camera work on pixel detection and will work thru glass windows… 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It will NOT work thru windows due to glass…glass blocks most IR and the camera uses a PIR device to sense motion 

But a Q camera or the Essential indoor camera work on pixel detection and will work thru glass windows… 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

read this for more info;

https://kb.arlo.com/583/How-does-the-motion-detection-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-cameras

BehindTheGlass
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for your knowledgeable and concise explanation.
The battery feature of the wireless camera is the reason I bought it as there's no power in the building it is attached to.
The camera that was vandalized is a Reolink and its value is in its wireless/cellular/solar features. Downside, cell charges.
I'll do some research and find a camera that has those features over WiFi. I really appreciate your input, best of everything to you
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation