Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro3 Base VMB4540 Question

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Whiskers
Star
Star
Hi

I'm currently trying to decide whether to pre-order a Pro3 Kit or buy an Ultra kit and I've got some questions I can't find answers to. So here they are

1) Does Smart base VMB4540 contain Zigbee hardware like the VMB5000 so when Phillips Hue gain "Works with Arlo" accreditation sometime in future and you guys switch in zigbee functionality I'll be able to link my Hue to Arlo without IFTTT?

2) Will you be offering local and remote access to locally stored 2K videos via the app for Pro 3 users like you have promised later this year for Ultra 4K recordings so the system will continue to be workable without a smart cloud plan?

3) Are Ultra cameras compatible with base VMB4540. If yes... what resolution will Ultra camera recordings be stored in locally on the USB drive?

4) What is max USB drive size the VMB4540 can handle?

5) What's the range like on the VMB4540? I'm in UK so live in a brick built house and I understand the range on the VMB5000 isn't great. Is the VMB4540 better/worse/same

6) It looks like Pro3 will store 2K on Cloud with a Smart plan. Is this correct... no extra charge for 2K?

7) if 2K is going to be stored without an extra sub for Pro3 over does that mean Ultras with a Smart plan will also now save in upto 2K on Cloud without an extra cost?

So many questions as a result of so little available info for the Pro3 so hoping someone can answer.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Whiskers,

I apologize for the delay in response. I've consulted with the development team to gather answers each of your questions. Take a look below, I hope this helps.

Q: Does Smart base VMB4540 contain Zigbee hardware like the VMB5000 so when Phillips Hue gain "Works with Arlo" accreditation sometime in future and you guys switch in zigbee functionality I'll be able to link my Hue to Arlo without IFTTT?

A: Yes, VMB4540 contains Zigbee hardware like the VMB5000.

Q: Will you be offering local and remote access to locally stored 2K videos via the app for Pro 3 users like you have promised later this year for Ultra 4K recordings so the system will continue to be workable without a smart cloud plan?

A: Yes, this is available now.

Q: Are Ultra cameras compatible with base VMB4540. If yes... what resolution will Ultra camera recordings be stored in locally on the USB drive?

A: Yes, 1080p or 4K is optional for locally stored content.

Q: What is max USB drive size the VMB4540 can handle?

A: The maximum storage capacity for an attached USB drive is 2TB.

Q: What's the range like on the VMB4540? I'm in UK so live in a brick built house and I understand the range on the VMB5000 isn't great. Is the VMB4540 better/worse/same

A: The range variables are more related to the camera than the SmartHub or Base Station model. Pro 3 cameras perform better than Ultra at greater distances/WiFi polluted environments due to the lesser bandwidth requirement of 2K.

Q: It looks like Pro3 will store 2K on Cloud with a Smart plan. Is this correct... no extra charge for 2K?

A: Pro 3 users will get 2K cloud recordings included with their Arlo Smart subscription

Q: If 2K is going to be stored without an extra sub for Pro3 over does that mean Ultras with a Smart plan will also now save in upto 2K on Cloud without an extra cost?

A: Ultra requires a PVR subscription to store 4K content to the cloud. Without a PVR subscription, content saved to the cloud will be 1080p.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Whiskers
Star
Star
Anyone from Arlo like to answer any of my questions?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
Whiskers
Star
Star

Thanks for the links

Yup. Read all that and more before I posted. i still don't have answers 🙂

Nowhere does it specify if the new Pro3 Hub has ZigBee functionality something I want as I'm heavily OK invested in Hue.

Nor does it confirm that the Pro3 will get access to locally stored recordings via the App when that functionality is released for the Ultra. We presume when functionality to access locally stored recordings remotely is released for the Ultra... the Pro3 local recordings will be accessible via the app too but I'd like that confirmed as it's a rather big assumption. As  an IT person myself I never assume all platforms in this case base versions will get access to the same functionality. Going Pro3 could be a costly mistake if no subscription means the Pro3 becomes a totally useless home security system for people who need to remotely monitor their homes.

Nor does it mention if Ultra users will get 2K cloud recordings as standard as part of a basic Smart plan. Currently Ultra cloud recordings are 1080p but way I see it if Pro 3 is going to get cloud recordings upto 2k with a Smart plan (without an extra monthly add on subscription for over 1089p) I'd like to hope Ultra cloud will also increase to 2K as standard 

Nowhere does it state what resolution an ultra CAM recording will be stored locally on a VMB4540. Will it record in 4K or 2K? As the VMB4000 a 1080p base can record in 2K for Pro3 cameras I'm thinking a 2K VBM4540 base may well be capable of recording in 4K for any linked Ultra cams. It certainly nice if it did as it would make add on Ultra cams more appealing if the Pro3 base didn't also need to be upgraded to make use of the 4K features. 

So In order to decide which model Pro3 / Ultea provides me with best value & meets my needs I need to know what I'm actually buying so I know what to expect from my purchase and work out how much the system is going to end up costing in subscriptions long term. 

The 7day free cloud being ditched on models after Pro2 was a big mistake I'm my opinion. It was Arlo's USP...  it's now not only an expensive one off purchase but long term running costs need to be factored into the decision too 

Both the Pro3 & Ultra have pros & cons... the lack of USB port on VMB5000 seriously limits how much can be stored locally so VMB4540 is appealing but the lack of technical spec info on the VMB4540 is currently a big tick against it.

Arlo... For what its worth if you are reading this... There needs to be better specification transparency so folk like me who are interested in more than glossy marketing material can make better and more informed buying decisions. I wouldn't expect my clients to hand over cash without them first signing off that what I say I'll be delivering meets their requirements and expectations.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Whiskers,

I apologize for the delay in response. I've consulted with the development team to gather answers each of your questions. Take a look below, I hope this helps.

Q: Does Smart base VMB4540 contain Zigbee hardware like the VMB5000 so when Phillips Hue gain "Works with Arlo" accreditation sometime in future and you guys switch in zigbee functionality I'll be able to link my Hue to Arlo without IFTTT?

A: Yes, VMB4540 contains Zigbee hardware like the VMB5000.

Q: Will you be offering local and remote access to locally stored 2K videos via the app for Pro 3 users like you have promised later this year for Ultra 4K recordings so the system will continue to be workable without a smart cloud plan?

A: Yes, this is available now.

Q: Are Ultra cameras compatible with base VMB4540. If yes... what resolution will Ultra camera recordings be stored in locally on the USB drive?

A: Yes, 1080p or 4K is optional for locally stored content.

Q: What is max USB drive size the VMB4540 can handle?

A: The maximum storage capacity for an attached USB drive is 2TB.

Q: What's the range like on the VMB4540? I'm in UK so live in a brick built house and I understand the range on the VMB5000 isn't great. Is the VMB4540 better/worse/same

A: The range variables are more related to the camera than the SmartHub or Base Station model. Pro 3 cameras perform better than Ultra at greater distances/WiFi polluted environments due to the lesser bandwidth requirement of 2K.

Q: It looks like Pro3 will store 2K on Cloud with a Smart plan. Is this correct... no extra charge for 2K?

A: Pro 3 users will get 2K cloud recordings included with their Arlo Smart subscription

Q: If 2K is going to be stored without an extra sub for Pro3 over does that mean Ultras with a Smart plan will also now save in upto 2K on Cloud without an extra cost?

A: Ultra requires a PVR subscription to store 4K content to the cloud. Without a PVR subscription, content saved to the cloud will be 1080p.

Whiskers
Star
Star
Hi James
Thanks for taking the time to consult with your dev guys & get the answers to my long list of questions.

Hallelujah... to all but the last question.

It's a shame Ultra cams will be stuck with 1080p cloud storage as part of a Smart plan when Pro3 gets 2K included. It makes me glad I didn't buy any Ultras.

From the info I now have it's a no brainer... the Pro3 is going to be a better fit for my requirements.

I'm pleased to hear the Pro3 VMB4540 hub has got Zigbee capability, will eventually get remote access to local recordings and is capable of recording locally in 4K for any future Ultra cams I may add in. So with the VMB4540 I'm not losing anything compared to the Ultra hub VMB5000 and yet upgrading to Ultra in future is still possible as its forwards and backwards compatible with the various camera models.
The big difference however that makes the Pro3 hub preferable for me is having the USB port back on base as it means 2TB of local storage is possible vs only 256GB on the Ultra bases microSD card.
The Pro3 getting 2K included in a cloud smart plan as standard with the 2K system is the icing on the cake. Honestly it is how it should be. The Ultra needing an extra subscription to make use of the 4K features of the cameras you pay a hefty price for frankly sucks.
Thanks
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation