Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jopeters
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got a Pro 3 a few months ago and it has not stayed consistently connected since I got it.  I have tried it in two different locations, both of them only 20-30 feet from the base and my more than sufficient router.  I have two older Pro 2 cameras that I've used in both of those locations with no issues.  When the Pro 3 was disconnecting I swapped them into these locations with no problems.  Only this Pro 3 is giving me issues.  It's to the point were I can't even use the camera because I have to go remove it from the housing once a day just to restart it and reconnect.  I have also checked for updates/firmware/etc. and it never helped.

Any more suggestions?  Is my device just bad?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Depending on the house construction, etc. 20-30 feet may still be an issue. Try bringing it closer to the base/hub and see if there's a difference. What base/hub are you using? The newer hubs seem to have a lower signal strength and the cameras may also so that may be part of the problem.

Jopeters
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

Depending on the house construction, etc. 20-30 feet may still be an issue. Try bringing it closer to the base/hub and see if there's a difference. 

I have it sitting inside right now waiting to see if it disconnects again.  Either way, the fact that my Pro 2's work perfectly fine in those spots but the Pro 3 doesn't is totally unacceptable to me.  If it's as simple as "the Pro 3 has worse connection" then I spent $200 on an "upgraded" model of the camera when I could have spent less on a better performing Pro 2.  

@jguerdat wrote:

What base/hub are you using? The newer hubs seem to have a lower signal strength and the cameras may also so that may be part of the problem.

I'm not sure, it just says "Arlo Base Station" on it.  It's whatever came with the 2 camera Arlo Pro 2 bundle.  

dcfox1
Master
Master

look at device info on base I believe under settings on app to see the model. If not there I know its somewhere. in setting 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dcfox1 wrote:

look at device info on base I believe under settings on app to see the model. If not there I know its somewhere. in setting 

It's not in the settings, but it is on the label on the base.  There are also some pictures here that can help you determine the base (though some do look alike): https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

dcfox1
Master
Master

I thought he was talking about model number. It is in settings/device/smarthub/device info on my app. It says on mine 4540r2

dcfox1
Master
Master

I should have added if it named base station or what ever u changed it to it under that. Mine is smart hub for pro 3  I think the pro 2 base says base station in setting like u said u had. 

Jopeters
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base HW Version: VMB4000r3

Base Serial Number: 4R058C71AA2D4

Base Firmware: 1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

That being said, I'm not sure it's relevant because I think it's just an issue with my Pro 3 not performing to the level that I've seen from the Pro 2.  Unless there's an issue with my specific base interacting with the Pro 3?

I've had the Pro 3 in a location inside for a couple days now and it seems to not be disconnecting.  I would never have purchased this device if I knew I couldn't use it outside like my Pro 2.  Not very pleased.  I don't even have a large house, and have a really good router.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jopeters wrote:

I would never have purchased this device if I knew I couldn't use it outside like my Pro 2.  Not very pleased. 

Totally get that. 

My own Pro-3s are all outside - the furthest is about 40 feet from the base (which is the Pro3 smarthub).  It does stay connected.

If you have an Android phone you can get a wifi analyzer app (several free ones out there), and take a look at the Arlo base signal strength your desired locations.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation