Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
prakashp
Aspirant
Aspirant

My pro 3 camera has suddenly started detection motion inside the house when I pass by some glass windows inside the house.  As a result recordings are getting generated every time this happens.  Not sure how I can get this resolved.

8 REPLIES 8
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

One theory is although glass window panes do block infrared heat some can leak through the glass. If the house is internally heated the window will present as a hotter object compared to the cold outdoor environment. Walking past the window can cause a heat shadow of a moving object rather than a hot moving object as the sensor triggers when it sees a rapid level change in the infrared heat.

Other possible reasons are that the camera rule’s motion triggering sensitivity is set too high and needs to be reduced for colder weather.

You can also use activity zones to exclude the windows from causing the unwanted triggering.

How, is to use multiple activity zones to not include the window area.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Where are the cameras located - outdoors? They're pointed so that a window is in view? A screenshot of the camera view or a link to a suitable video could be useful.

prakashp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera is located outdoors, camera FOV is set to 160 degrees.  Windows run along the side and two windows face the camera on the left side. About 10% of the FOV on the left side includes this side wall with 3 windows.  The 2 windows that face the camera are within the 30% of the FOV on the left side.  Motion behind any window triggers recording now.  Has not happened for the last 2 years and now suddenly it has started.  Arlo screwed up with local storage early December, when everything started working again on Dec 17 when they fixed it, this problem started.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the PIR detectors don't work through glass (which blocks the IR needed to trigger them) I have to believe something is causing a reflection on the OUTSIDE of the window. Why that would only be when passing by the window indoors is beyond me.

prakashp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Happens only at night not during the day

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Car headlights?

prakashp
Aspirant
Aspirant

camera is pointing into the backyard which is fenced in. So no car headlights.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@prakashp wrote:

Camera is located outdoors, camera FOV is set to 160 degrees.  Windows run along the side and two windows face the camera on the left side. About 10% of the FOV on the left side includes this side wall with 3 windows.  The 2 windows that face the camera are within the 30% of the FOV on the left side.  Motion behind any window triggers recording now.  Has not happened for the last 2 years and now suddenly it has started.  

Is the camera powered? Or running on battery?

If powered, try switching to battery and see if the symptoms change.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation