Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
oaklandm
Star
Star
I have recently upgraded from the Pro 2 to the Pro 3 (all new equipment) but am having constant issues with geofencing. Arlo isn’t detecting when me or my wife leave or enter the zone, the only way to get it to detect the change is open the Arlo app. We have location set to always, background app refresh is on on both devices. Never had an issue with Pro 2, does anyone have any ideas how to get this working correctly?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

oaklandm,

Are both devices logged in using the same credentials or is one device using it's own shared account through the Grant Access feature? What model and OS are your mobile devices?

JamesC

oaklandm
Star
Star

Hi,

One device(mine) is using the account, the other is using its own account through the grant access feature. The apps are being used on an iPhone 11 & iPhone 11 Pro and using the latest OS. We have found out that we need to open the app when leaving home or just before arriving home for the geofencing to work correctly.

Both devices have background refresh on and location set to always.

Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem with PRO 2 as well...all geofencing problems starts after updating to 2.11 Arlo software version, in combination with iOS 13.

Many customers have same issues but different Arlo system.
I hope Arlo will fix that as soon as possible...
oaklandm
Star
Star

Have you got an update on this JamesC? Geofencing is a large part of Arlo as I always forget to arm my system when I leave. On a new system I would of expected the basic options to work especially when security of property is concerned.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our team is aware that some users are experiencing issues with the geofencing capability on iOS.  Arlo is working with our technology partner to resolve this issue expeditiously and we expect to deliver a resolution shortly.  We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while our team is working to improve the experience.

JamesC

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Awesome thanks for the update as this is one my wife and I are experiencing on iOS 13.2.3 iPhone XS Max - and iPhone X
Wayne2
Tutor
Tutor

Just adding my two cents worth.  Also on iOS 13.2.3 on iPhone 11 Pro Max.

If I keep the Arlo app open and visible on the screen, then the app will send notifications for entering or exiting the zone and arm or disarm as expected.  But if the app is not running or even if it is running but the phone's screen is off or another app is displayed on the screen, it won't work reliably if at all.

Seems like the Arlo process that is checking your location is only running in the main app instead of in a constant-running background process, so it only works when the Arlo app is running front and center.  For comparison, I have a Honeywell smart thermostat that also uses geolocation and if you want to, you can use it to lower the heat when you are outside the zone you set up around your house's location (I have mine set for 3 miles) and it works perfectly, without the Honeywell Home app running.  Maybe Arlo can reach out to the developers at Honeywell for help if they're having trouble fixing the issue.

Good luck with fixing this as it is a very helpful and convenient feature to have, thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the Arlo mobile app for iOS is now available resolving several issues with Geofencing, please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app installed and take a look at the release notes here: Arlo iOS App - 2.12 - 13th December 2019

JamesC

annlou
Star
Star

Please report your issue to Arlo Support. They say I'm the only one having this issue when clearly I'm not.

Wayne2
Tutor
Tutor

I just wanted to provide an update here regarding the newly released version 2.12 of the Arlo app.  The good new is that Geofencing is now working properly for me, without needing to have the Arlo app running.  So anyone having geofencing issues please try again after updating to 2.12.

There is one thing though that I noticed that at first looks like a mode switching issue but it turns out, from what I can see is only a cosmetic issue.  What happened was, when I got home and was inside the house, I manually switched the mode from Geofencing to Scheduled, and then I went back one page to where it shows you the current Mode you are in, and it showed the Armed mode I have selected for my Geofencing "Away" mode (it should have been Disarmed), so looking at it you would be lead to believe that the system was armed.  But if I don't make any changes and just quit the app and restart and go back to the Mode page it now shows the correct Disarmed mode that I have set up for scheduled daytime use.  So it just looks like the Mode page is not getting refreshed correctly to show the proper mode, immediately after switching out of Geofencing mode.  Restarting the app forced a refresh.  Just to test this out, I followed those same steps and when it was incorrectly showing the Geofencing "Armed" mode, I walked in front of one of the cameras to see if the system was actually armed and sure enough there were no alerts, proving the system was not actually armed, the app was just showing the wrong Mode.

So Arlo developers, thanks for fixing Geofencing, but it looks like you've still got a little cleaning up to do related to possibly needing to force a refresh on the Mode page after switching from Geofencing mode, or maybe even when switching between ANY mode.

oaklandm
Star
Star

I can confirm this is happening to me and my wife also, I'm over the moon that geofencing is working again as expected, like you say, just a little cleaning up to do.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation