Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rlpjsh
Star
Star

I have a 2+ year old Arlo system purchased with two Pro 3 cameras and a Wired Video Doorbell. For the past two years I have only used one Pro 3 camera and the doorbell. The 2nd Pro 3 was never activated.

Over the last couple months the Pro 3 connection to the smart Hub has been terrible. The app usually displayed "Your Arlo device appears offline..." resulting in just 1-2 recordings each day and I rarely could get Live View. I tried everything I could find that has been suggested in the various threads in the Community and KB articles: power cycle the camera and smart hub, factory reset the camera and the smart Hub, remove the camera and smart hub from the app, uninstall the app, rename the camera and smart hub, change WiFi channels, disconnect camera battery charger cable, and move the smart hub and camera locations. (Did I miss any suggestions?) All these were tried multiple times in different sequences.

Nothing worked. All through this there have been very few connection issues with the doorbell; mostly its been working fine. Occasionally my smart hub would go offline.

Yesterday, I added my 2nd Pro 3 which hadn't yet been activated. The 2nd Pro 3 quickly connected to the smart hub and has been working flawlessly for over 24 hours while the 1st Pro 3 continues to display the offline message with an occasional rare connection regardless of proximity to the smart hub. The 2nd Pro 3 is in the original location where the 1st Pro 3 was mounted and connected with the same battery charging cable.

This seems to prove that the connection issue is a hardware problem with the 1st Pro 3 camera. (The 2nd Pro 3 updated itself to the same firmware version as the 1st Pro 3.) I'm wondering if the months of California sun exposure cooked and failed a component inside the 1st Pro 3. My understanding is that Arlo will not repair out of warranty cameras. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get my Pro 3 camera (economically) repaired?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, there's no repair capability for these cameras, just like many/most other consumer electronics. While I doubt the sun exposure was the cause, anything can happen. Your likely result is to buy a new camera.

If this had started happening while still in the warranty period, contacting support immediately to invoke that warranty may have solved the issue long ago.

rlpjsh
Star
Star

What is the experience for Arlo owners for camera longevity, particularly the Pro 3?

The Pro 3 was released Fall 2019; how many owners have Pro 3 systems which have been working for over 2 years?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rlpjsh wrote:

The Pro 3 was released Fall 2019; how many owners have Pro 3 systems which have been working for over 2 years?

I have two Pro 3 cameras that go back to the introduction, and both are still working.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation