Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
aanda6
Guide
Guide

So I have only had my Arlo system for a couple of weeks and we live in a large 2 storey house. The Wifi reception from the cameras to the base station was atrocious and camera batteries needed recharging after 1 week. I bought 2 external antennas and have attached them to my base station. Seem to have lifted reception quite significantly, however still not getting anywhere near the claimed distances of coverage.

image0.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6
aanda6
Guide
Guide

For anyone interested this the the Antenna I used

WiFi RP-SMA Antenna 6dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band +2 x 35cm U.fl/IPEX Cable Range

very simple job, remove 2 screws from bottom of base station it then clicks apart.Remove 2 small antennas connected to motherboard. Drill hole in case, install new antenna, simply click onto motherboard then put back together.

Glenn8105
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow, could you post a picture of this?  I'm giving this serious thought as well.  A couple of my camera's Wi-Fi signal fades in and out and I'm guessing because of the distance (one is in my backyard and the other is facing my driveway at the far end of the house).  I have an old NIC card with external antennas that I'm not using and may try to use those but would love to see what you did first. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Two things to remember, that the antennas will improve some, I've found it really not worth the effort.

Reason is the antennas on the cams are the weak point and the new antenna is still Omni directional.

I have made the cameras work at a distance of about 1000', but thru extra methods.... (free space)

the cameras were in the center of a parabolic antenna ( at focal point ) and the base had a directional panel antenna.

Not really practical unless special circumstances.

As to the listed range, it is very dependent on what the signal traverses thru. I easily get 150ft with clear shot and the cam has 2 bars so more range is possible ( Pro 4000 base to Pro2 )

But I do think that outside the box is a good thing!

good luck

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
aanda6
Guide
Guide

Thanks, I agree that the cameras appear to be the major culprit but thought that it couldn't harm to add these as well. it has improved my reception however not enough that i won't need a second base station.

Ewiok
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.
I have a VMB5000 that has problems connecting to the cameras after it went t the floor. Thinking it can be a antenna connection inside that is loose. Asked about this yesterday
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Arlo-Ultra-base-station-Problems-with-connection-to-cameras...

Is it the same in VMB5000 as in 4500? Found that VMB4000 has antenna connections that isnt soldered. Is it the same in 4500 and also in mine that is VMB5000?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I tried this on a VMB4540 and found that it seemed to make a bit of difference but it was pointed out to me that the camera's antenna hadn't changed so no real utility was gained.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation