Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Cummon Arlo , both me and my father having the same issue yesterday and today in the UK, getting loads of notifications but random cameras actually not recording.
We have both restarted hubs with no change.
These are not cheap cameras and i feel like I've purchased cheap!
300 REPLIES 300
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

I haven't heard back from Arlo Support yet. But I have noticed a slight improvement last night with this, but obviously I thought too quickly, because as of this morning, the issue came back and was just as bad as before. 

I'm tempted to start an entirely new forum about this because it's been three weeks since I've been experiencing this issue and no fix!

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I had all smart turned off and has been perfect for days until this morning one of my cameras failed to detect or record all day
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

That happened to me too! I turned off Smart Notifications, but for me, it didn't even work for days. It worked well for me for about one day with smart notifications off, but by the evening I was already experiencing issues. So then I turned my smart notifications back on. 

I'm not sure why this is only an issue with Arlo Pro 3 and Ultra. I have a Arlo Pro 2 and it hasn't had any issues at all. 

tinsheep
Guide
Guide

I had a screenshot this morning with no recording, no notification. I'm not saying i know what the problem is but what i'm telling you is my experience in the last two weeks. I have a mix of cameras - arlo's arlo pro 3's and now an ultra. All 10 cameras are in the smart premier subscription with smart notifications. Only one (an arlo pro 2) still has a zone defined and this is the one that had the issue. I deleted all of my zones on the other cameras and so far they all seem to be working fine since that time. 

As i have mentioned previously i wondered if the problem is its the zones that are broken. Here is what i think the Arlo workflow is

• motion detected
  • recording happens
  • recording gets sent to the cloud
  • Apply smart detection
  • Activity in zone and matches one of the smart detections you configured?
  • if yes:
    • notify of matched activity
    • put recording in the library
    • the motion screen frame snapshot gets placed in the "devices" view
  • If no:
    • cloud (mistakenly?) determines the motion activity is outside of the zone
    • does not notify
    • does not put recording in the library 
    • the motion screen frame snapshot gets placed in the "devices" view

This could be an "as designed" functionality, however, i think the problem is in that logic where it determines if the activity is within the zone. In my case the zone is 100% of the view a (full video mode, no tracking) I have all smart notifications enabled for this camera. So i think it is highly unlikely that the motion occurred outside of this zone.  

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,

I’m not sure if anyone noticed, but for me, I think things have slightly changed (nothing better though). Now it’s worse though, before, motion was detection but no recording and this still occurs but less frequently. But now, it’s like motion isn’t detected even when I walk by. I turned of smart notifications but it only lasts for a day before it misses notifications and recordings again.

I was expecting to hear from Arlo Support but still nothing as of today.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Shaun1234 

Hi, so sorry for the silence. I finally heard back from a Arlo agent, whom requested for me to send some screenshots of the issue, which I just sent this morning. Initially I did a reboot on Friday, and as of Saturday, things were so much better but then the issue came back Saturday (yesterday) afternoon and was just as bad now. 

I'm hoping the Agent can figure out what's wrong. If I get any info, I'll let you know! Thanks!

P.S. Not sure if you have this issue, but yesterday two of my cameras were in the middle of detecting motion and the videos were all blurry and they disconnected for a few minutes and reconnected themselves (another issue...)

LensCleaner
Star
Star

With Zones off I'm not doing too bad at the moment - all recordings have shown up the last few days albeit there was a gap of a couple of hours where one recording was missing, at the moment though my devices are functional at least. 

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

True! I deleted my activity zone for one camera, and similar to you, it's not perfect, and still missing motion detection between some time, but better than with the activity zones. I left two of my cameras on activity zones as they are in high traffic areas and because of the summer, we have kids running around throughout the day, afternoon and evening.

I'm going to stay persistent with the Arlo Support and hopefully they figure out the issue. I can't seriously have paid this much for the cameras/have monthly subscription and bear with this type of issue - not recently acceptable. If I do have any updates, I'll be sure to comment here.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Shaun1234  @LensCleaner 

Hi,

Just wondering if the two of you are still having issues? For the past WEEK or MORE! I have been in touch with Arlo Tech Support, and every day this agent just asks me to do 10 times (including screenshot/video recording the issue) with no solution yet. I'm getting really frustrated, but noticed as of yesterday, my recordings have been slightly better. Since last night, I haven't gotten any notification that has missing recordings. BUT I am still having issue with motion missed and camera disconnecting. Are either of you having the issue?

Arlo wants me to screenshot again, and video record the issue. I'm about to pull all my hair out of my hair!!

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi yes every couple of days one of my cameras will stop recording and I have to turn it off and on.
Sometimes my recordings will only be say 16 seconds long instead of 60.
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @Shaun1234, try adding the Activity Zones again. This user and myself have found that as of yesterday notifications have resumed normal. I did have a minor time frame yesterday afternoon where motion went undetected for one camera and briefly disconnected. But otherwise, things have improved! *Knock wood* Will observe for the weekend, and if issue comes back, will contact Arlo Support again.

LensCleaner
Star
Star

Having left the zones off I've not had any problems this week as far as I know.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@LensCleaner 

Try turning them on and see! My activity zones are on and have been working as of yesterday *knock wood*

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi my zones have been active the whole time, i turned off Arlo smart, but thanks.
Have you got Arlo smart active on every camera
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary
Yup, I have Arlo smart on for all my cameras! Try turning them back on 🙂
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

So I just noticed that one of my camera just missed a motion (i.e. no detection/no notification/ no recording). But otherwise, so far, all notifications have recordings. I have notified Arlo Support about the issue of missing motion. But definitely improvement *fingers crossed* it lasts.

I have my activity zones on with Arlo Smart on for all my cameras.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Shaun1234 @LensCleaner 

Sorry to ask, do you still experience the issue? After 3 days, the issue is back for me... AGAIN!!

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yep one of my cameras , on a/c power giving notifications again with screen shot but no recording in library
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Shaun1234  thanks for the reply! I was almost hopeful that a solution was created, but, then it came back (I obviously gave myself too high expectations). I'm still waiting for Arlo Support to get back to me again as I reported it again. If I get any new updates, I'll let you know.

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Ok, my other cameras are doing it now intermittently
LensCleaner
Star
Star

Mine have been okay the last few days as far as I've noticed.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Mine are also working  intermittently as well. Last night seemed better, but then issues came up this morning again *sigh*

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Probably find it's when people are coming and going to work and the cheap servers can't handle the traffic..haha
Mine generally have always been around that time
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

I think so too! Mine happens mostly during the day, but does happen over the night too. But like you said, when high traffic, it happens more frequently. Seriously still can't believe Arlo Support hasn't figured out a solution by now!

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes extremely poor show, you would think it would be a simple fix for a software developer, especially over the amount of time
Discussion stats