Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
txboki
Tutor
Tutor

I recently purchased an Arlo Pro3 with base station VMB4540 with (2) Pro3 cameras. In setting it up, I noticed  my cameras is on the other side of my home (about ) would consistently connect and disconnect from the base station. 

I read the support blogs and it seems I need a "Wifi Extender".  My wifi network is 802.11ac 5GHz throughout my home.  

With the need for the base station (VMB4540) requiring an ethernet connection to work, can you advise which product would you recommend for this base station?

FYI - I have already tried Linksys Wifi extender (AC750) and it failed to connect to my network. I found a Netgear (at the time I found one without a ethernet port) so of course it didn't work with VMB4540. 

Can someone recommend Arlo's recommended solution for this problem?

52 REPLIES 52
squid101
Tutor
Tutor

You might be misunderstanding what I was saying.  My extender does not need an ethernet cable to the main router.  It connects via wifi.  My Arlo Pro 2 requires the Ethernet cable to connect to the network, regardless if it is an extender or not.  I am not sure how the Arlo you have works.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Ridgeviewcourt wrote:

I am having the same problem let me know if you find a way to increase the signal with out an extender that requires an ethernet connection. 

All you need is a wifi extender or powerline extender that has has ethernet port to connect your hub to if you move it to closer to the problem cams. 

I used a 40 dollar powerline extender to move the hub to the center of the house and it worked. 

As for your other post in the forum 300 feet is in a perfect word. Many things can cause interference. House construction other devices ect. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ridgeviewcourt,

Every environment is different when discussing signal strength. Physical obstructions as well as other sources of WiFi interference will reduce the distance at which cameras can successfully maintain a connection with the base station/SmartHub. You could add an additional base station or Smarthub to your network closer to where those cameras are located and sync the cameras to that base station or SmartHub.

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Powerline adapters will always give you a most reliable and stable connection anywhere with an electrical outlet. Either D-Link or TP-Link, reasonably priced ($50.-$60.) will work flawlessly. Been using them for years without any issues.

Nicperg
Aspirant
Aspirant
You mentioned you a found Netgear wifi extender that successfully replicated the VMB4540 2Ghz 802.11b signal. which model extender as it?
Dion74
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. My cameras have a minimal WiFi connection and are often offline. Is a 2nd base hub the solution to solve this problem?

Can I use the second base in the same arlo smart enviroment?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Dion74 wrote:

I have the same problem. My cameras have a minimal WiFi connection and are often offline. Is a 2nd base hub the solution to solve this problem?

Can I use the second base in the same arlo smart enviroment?

Yes and yes. You may want to try first moving you Hub to a central location in the house to test before buying a second one but a second one would help. If you need a second connect the distant cams to that one. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I only use powerline adapters, you can place one wherever there’s an electrical outlet. Brands I have had luck with are D-Link and TP-Link.

WIFI extenders might still cause connection problems, they still require strong signal from wifi router to operate properly. If weak wifi from router is the problem, an extender won’t make much difference. On the other hand, powerline adapters will provide more stable connection from base station to router, almost as good as if directly connected by network cable.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Also a set of powerline adapters will cost less than an extra base station.

damianparker
Tutor
Tutor

Hi - Im picking up on this thread for some help, just before purchase...

Ive moved into a new house 2800sqft and want 4 pro3 cameras on the outside of the property. I already have to run Deco M5 mesh to extend my sky Bband to all corners of the house (2 story) and signal is minimal in the garden. My router is placed in the office at the front of the house on the ground floor. 

Im resigned to the fact that to reach the back of the house in the corners where the cameras are needed- I will need a second base station. 

From what i have read - I could position the main base station more centrally (probably in the loft) using an appropriate powerline adapter? correct? This would give minimal interference and likely better range from the loft?

Failing that - can a second base station be used with with a powerline adaptor, with the orginal base station remaining in the original office? Or is the only option for it to be hard wired to the router / original base station?

Hope that makes sense before I purchase!

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

“...........can a second base station be used with with a powerline adaptor, with the orginal base station remaining in the original office?“

yes, most definitely. 

Any base station can connect to router whichever way you choose, independently from each other. I have two base stations, both connected to router via powerline adapters. Where WIFI signal is weak, powerline adapters are the best solutions.

txboki
Tutor
Tutor

I bought the following extender

NETGEAR - AC750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - White
Model: EX6100-100N

I got it from Best buy, but you can get it from anywhere else. Key thing about the extender, it must support 2.4GHz, 802.11g (old ranges which the Arlo Base Station VMB4540 and its asociated cameras transmit on).

Thats the trick. Many Wifi Extenders today no more support older formats at 2.4GHz. Unfortunately Arlo's basestation and cameras still use it. Fortunately Netgear's older extender model (I bought the AC750) still supports it.

Hope this helps. 

damianparker
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks

So - 2 of these then: TP-LINK RE220 AC750 Universal Dual Band Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hots...

My only question is that I assume this just connects to my Mesh network for connectivity? I place 2 of these in sockets next to the 2 base stations, connect them to the Mesh Wifi, then connect the Basestations to via hard ethernet connection to the powerline adaptor - correct?

Ta

damianparker
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks - what is the experience like with 2 base stations - how does it work on the app etc? Obviously 2 cameras will be connected to each station - so do you have to switch in the app to view etc?

dcfox1
Master
Master

As long as the powerline adapter has Ethernet port you can connect the base to them. All will be in the app together once set up. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

The app is not aware of (or cares) how your base station is connected to the router. Base station(s) will show in the app once connected, whether through WIFI extender, powerline adapter or directly to router.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I still prefer the powerline  connection vs WIFI range extender, mainly for the more stable connection.

JT185
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat has identified the core issue here for everyone to understand.  The latest versions of Arlo camera (Ultra+, Pro3+, etc...) do not connect to your Wi-Fi in your home; they only connect to the Arlo Smart Hub / Base Stations. 

The Arlo Base Stations themselves need to be connected via physical ethernet cables.

So, if you need to extend the Wi-Fi range of your camera because there is no central position you can place a single Arlo Smart Hub / Base Station (or more than 5 cameras I believe), you need 1 or more additional Smart Hub / Base Stations.

You may also need a Wi-Fi Extender with an ethernet port to be able to do that.  In squid101's case above with a Mesh Network of 3 existing routers in a mesh network, assuming each router has 1 or more ethernet ports, you can plug an additional Smart Hub / Base Station into each mesh router.  Just think about extending the Smart Hubs or Base Stations; instead of extending your own home Wi-Fi network.   Took me a little while to understand this myself but, once I'd read enough it was very helpful to me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JT185 wrote:

You may also need a Wi-Fi Extender with an ethernet port to be able to do that.  

Powerline networking is another way you can extend your ethernet.

fmarullo
Aspirant
Aspirant
The SSID for the arlo base is easy to determine, but unless you used wps to connect the extender to the arlo base how did you get past knowing the password? I haven't tried it, but if the "sync" on the arlo base is merely a wps signal then a 2.4 extender that supports wps should connect via wps. However that critical step was not mentioned. Is that how you connected the base to the extender? Also the netgear model you specified allows the same ssid broadcast so the cameras again might also need to be synced via wps to the extender?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@fmarullo wrote:
The SSID for the arlo base is easy to determine, but unless you used wps to connect the extender to the arlo base how did you get past knowing the password?

The wifi advertised by the base is a closed network and is only used by the cameras.  The base itself connects to the internet over ethernet.

If there is no ethernet available where you want to put the base, then options include using either powerline networking or a wifi extender with an ethernet port.  With the latter, you are extending your home network, not the base station network - so you do not need to know the base wifi password.  Then you connect the ethernet port in the extender to the base.

4x4nana
Aspirant
Aspirant
What net gear model extender did you buy?
Ridgeviewcourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

We were not able to find a spot to plug in the wi-fi extender nearer to the camera, we ended up relocating and repositioning the base station for a more direct line to the cameras. We did not move it more than one foot, we had our router near the base and switched them around and made sure there was no interference between the base and camera. It is certainly worth a try.  

Bill62
Tutor
Tutor
I’m not particularly literate with how extenders etc work so this may have already been answered.
We live on a 2 acre block with lots of wildlife. (Possums, Tassie devils etc)
Our standard wifi has a booster on the side of the house which gives us garden coverage.
The Arlo base station doesn’t get me great coverage though, no matter where I position it (very thick walls don’t appear to help).
Is there a simple booster I can use to extend the range of my base station?
Thanks
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bill62 wrote:

Is there a simple booster I can use to extend the range of my base station?

Unfortunately there isn't. 

You could connect a pro 4 (or essential) camera to your home wifi, and not use the base for that particular spot.  But you would need a subscription to get storage if you do that.

(As an aside, you can of course use a subscription with the base station also.  But you do also have the option of using direct access to local storage.  There are downsides to using direct access - a subscription definitely has advantages.  Let us know if you want more details on that).

Discussion stats