Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 119 Replies
  • 28 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So within the last week 9-5-20 thru 9-13-20 I have noticed that my cameras (all 3 of them) just has not been recording most types of motion. I have recordings of people leaving my door but none of them arriving, cars leaving but never returning and such. I have personally witnessed my pets walking in front of the cameras with no recordings. Even the pesky wind motion from limbs and things are no longer getting recorded. I have increased the sensitivity levels on all of my cameras to over 96% and still nothing changes. I have rebooted the hub a couple of times with no improvement. All of my cameras are ac powered and all have strong wifi signal.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this? I went from getting over a hundred recordings a day to less than 20, sometimes none. Has there been a cloud update or software update of any kind that might cause this?

119 REPLIES 119
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just saw this and it fits perfectly in the time frame as stated:

JamesC
Community Manager
‎2020-09-10 09:33 AM

Release Details:

Arlo SmartHub VMB4540 - 1.16.3.2_654_6cd3d19

Highlights:
• Bug Fixes

@JamesC  is anyone else having problems since this update?

fenton11
Guide
Guide
I’m having a similar issue. The only way I get recordings uploaded to the cloud is if I set the smart notifications to on for people, vehicles, or animals. If I turn of the notifications nothing uploads to the cloud. The recordings do uploaded to the usb drive I have plugged into the base but this defeats the purpose of subscribing to the monthly plan.
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Similar issue for months now. It's a bug in the firmware imo.

Only thing that fixed it for me was to unselect "record motion for 2 mins" to "record until activity stops".

This is not ideal but at least it captures the event now.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@K80Shooter 

Same here, but for me, the issue has happened before this too, but it has definitely gotten worse lately (the past few days) and more noticeable than before. For me, it's happening to all 5 of my cameras including Arlo Pro 3s and an Arlo Pro 2. 

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Kaynadian 

I remember in another post you having this issue,   also was to some extent with only one camera but it would just stop recording randomly and I would have to either switch to live view to fix it then that wouldn't work so I was having to restart the hub to get it working again. 

If I recall correctly you opened a support case for this, did anything ever come of it?

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JehovasFitness 

Mine are set to record till motion stops, they always have been. I agree it's a firmware issue that got really bad (for me) with the last update.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just pulled my usb drive to check for recordings there. There is a lot of recordings that are never recorded to the cloud, recordings that should be. People, pets and all kinds of other motion. Definitely an issue with the software/ firmware update.

@JamesC  will you please check into this.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

K80Shooter,

Do you use activity zones on all of your cameras? If you remove activity zones, do you still experience the same behavior? (I ask because if the videos are present locally but not in your cloud library, it sounds like they may be being filtered by Arlo Smart).

If this is happening consistently with all of you cameras, I recommend that you open a support ticket to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JamesC 

Yes I use activity zones on all of my cameras. The zones are rather large also to catch as much motion as possible, basically the entire lower 2/3rd of the screen. I will remove one tonight and try without it. Yes it's happening on all of my cameras and as stated just started since the last firmware update to the hub.

If this does not change anything I will open another support ticket. Thanks

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@K80Shooter 

Yup, I did have this issue. It was another user that noticed it and then I took notice and realized it was not recording everything. But, as you mentioned, I have noticed it becoming worse the past few days (it was not great before, but it's definitely much worse now). I do have a case opened for this around 2 weeks ago, and had my case escalated, and it's been 2 weeks since the last agent reached out to me. I had reached out to them again last week and waiting for a reply and asked JamesC this morning to get me an update because they aren't responding to me.

I had a bit of a fight with Arlo Support because they were constantly determined that it was my own issue and not theirs. It took me a constant and persistent conversation to show that I performed all their troubleshooting steps that the issue is definitely the cloud. I see that motion is being detected (because at night the camera light goes on and such), but then I don't always get a notification/recording. As you mentioned, it's not consistently on the Arlo App but the USB is doing fine. 

fenton11
Guide
Guide
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@fenton11 

No it did not work.

Even if it had that would still mean that it is/was a software/firmware or maybe a hub issue as it used to work then without me doing anything it just suddenly stopped working.

fenton11
Guide
Guide
I agree. I noticed there was a firmware update to the hub on 9/10/20. The very next morning the cloud recordings stopped.
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I also started getting notifications yesterday late afternoon about motions and such and when I went to check there was numbers indicating recordings but when I clicked on the cameras there was nothing in the library/cloud.

Now to back up just a bit, with the activity zones deleted I did get some recordings but very few and again a lot of missed recordings on the cloud.

This morning the camera completely missed me walking to my vehicle and leaving then it also did not record me coming back. No telling what was missed in my absence.

Arlo needs to at least own up to a problem on their end and say they are working on it. I have opened a support case but who knows when they will contact me.

I also have another case that I have been waiting on them to respond to me about for two weeks now, I did get a email saying I needed to update the case or they would close the case........ I did update saying I have been waiting on them for two weeks to respond. Very poor service IMHO

fenton11
Guide
Guide
Since the cloud isn’t working properly will Arlo credit our monthly subscription accounts? We shouldn’t have to pay when the service doesn’t work.
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@fenton11 

You would have to ask Arlo but, I'd advise you not to hold your breath for it.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@fenton11 

You would have to contact them for a refund as @K80Shooter  said since not everyone has the problems you described. 

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@K80Shooter 

Were you able to get Arlo to look into this? Are you still having missed notifications? I've been having a lot still unfortunately. I asked JamesC to get me a status update, agent called me and I missed their call. Try to get ahold of them again but no luck! 

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Kaynadian 

I am still having issues and am still waiting on Arlo to contact me. Frustrating to say the least.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@K80Shooter 

Thank you for the quick reply! I contact Arlo through the chat and requested for a call back, hopefully they reach out to me or otherwise I’ll call Monday. If I get any good news I’ll let you know!

Past two days my two cameras stopped recording motion entirely and I had to reboot them to get them working. 

fenton11
Guide
Guide
Same here. They asked me for my phone number a week ago. Still no call back.
tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Firmware just updated today to this version.  Started having videos cut off even though there was still motion, like a guy still jogging and then it just cuts off.  Even cars that are still moving in the video it cuts off.  

I was not looking forward to this.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@tony_2018 wrote:

Firmware just updated today to this version.  

What version? I still have 3d19 from 9/10 on 4540 hub or do you mean the Pro3 cams. 

fenton11
Guide
Guide
I’m still at version 3d19 as well.
Discussion stats
  • 119 Replies
  • 28 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation