Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
chudak
Guide
Guide

After the last update my camera can’t access local storage.

Formatting did not help.

is it a known problem?

thx

21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Details, all of them. In general the camera always has access to the local storage since that's a function of the base, not the camera. However, access from the app could be broken for some reason - is that what you mean? If so, have you rebooted the base (what model?) as well as rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app?

chudak
Guide
Guide

You are right - access from an iPhone or iPad to the recording via local storage (USB stick).

I've been using this for a while and now it's really flaky - after USB format, works and then won't, changing, rebooting, reinstalling the app, etc. did not help. 

I suspect the latest update introduced a regression.

Frankly, I am getting tired of "managing" Arlo, maybe it's time to return it and get a new cameras?!

chudak
Guide
Guide

Every day it keeps happening - Arlo stops being able to connect to a local USB stick

It's definitely not a network problem as I can format a USB stick and then everything looks good for some time.

I did try using a different USB stick but will try again.

@Arlo please comment/help!

chudak
Guide
Guide

I tried a different USB stick and it still has the problem.

It seems that every time the size of images taken is 2.5-3.0GB Arlo can't retrieve them.

After formatting a USB stick all is back to normal till the size gets 2.5GB+

Any help?

Waiting for a new iOS app, but seriously considering returning all 3 Arlo cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are no Arlo videos that get into the gigabyte range - they're all generally under 5MB but, depending on camera and various settings, could grow to 20MB, I suppose. Was that a typo?

If you download the video, can you view it? If not, try the free VLC which will play pretty much anything. The videos amy have corruption which can explain the inability for the app to play them.

chudak
Guide
Guide

That was not a typo but maybe I did not explain well.

When the total size of all pics on USB stick is 2.5-3.0GB in size, that is when I see the issue with Arlo retrieving them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just out of curiosity, what size is the USB drive?

chudak
Guide
Guide

32GB

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess it is an iOS app issue since my Android app has no problem like this.

chudak
Guide
Guide

And it's new as it is used to work.

What is interesting is that @Arlo has no comments !

Dipper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have the same problem around the same time as of last iOS app update.   Would appear that it is an app issue

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix for this issue has been deployed. This fix should be automatic for those who already have local storage set up. If you're still experiencing an issue, try logging out and logging back in to your mobile app and try again.

Thanks,

JamesC

Dipper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nope.  Still doesn't work.

chudak
Guide
Guide

No the problem is still here on version 3.6.3 (3404)

is it the version where you believe it’s fixed?

chudak
Guide
Guide

I think I know what’s going on.

I live in SF and in May we usually have high winds.  So Arlo camera picks up a recording 10 seconds length and every it can record 2-3 clips.

I suspect the arlo app has a deficiency when it can’t read thru more then a curtain amount of file and thus fails. 

Can you ask the development to take a look at this?

@JamesC 

Wolfy13
Guide
Guide
I am slo having this issue. I've rebooted, Uninstalled, restarted phone, etc. All with no fix. I've not reformatted the USB, but it sounds like this is the fix. Keep the storage low... its definitely a problem. I'm currently at ~14.5GB of 125GB. Curious if it still records new video, just not accessible
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wolfy13 wrote:
I am also having this issue. Curious if it still records new video, just not accessible

I see it with one of my VMB5000 bases, but not the other.  Arlo is aware of it, but no one has reached out to me to resolve it.  Since I do have a subscription, my local storage is just for backup and troubleshooting - so it's not something criticial for me.

I checked for recordings (by putting the microSD card in a PC), and they are still being made.

Wolfy13
Guide
Guide
Did a reformat, still cant access local storage. Something has changed...
Wolfy13
Guide
Guide
My iPad has version 3.6.4, and it has access to the storage. My phones are updated to 3.6.5 and they do not have access... obviously pointing to an app/update problem
chudak
Guide
Guide

I am happy to report that I finally pulled the plug and returned Arlo cameras and happy because of it.

The main reason is complete disregard of uses’ reported issues by Arlo.

The issues with external storage is a good example.

Good luck 🍀 

Ben_OZ
Tutor
Tutor
I have done the usual troubleshooting steps, confirmed that videos are still recorded and can be played on PC. My app version is 3.6.8, but local storage is not accessible via the app.
Has anyone had more luck solving this?
Other than by chucking out their Arlos…
Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation