Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 59 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I am just looking for clarity on what is needed from a network perspective for local sotage access across a vpn. This is suggestrd by the app to use instead of using port forwarding to enable external access for better security. I have a unraid server with OpenVPN installed. I can connect to multiple internal network objects. Whenever i try to connect to the local storage though i tap on the hub select in the library and nothing happens.

Initially I thought it might be related to the ip of my device remotely. I updated my VPN config to have me on the same class C network as the hub and still nothing.
59 REPLIES 59
vnorred
Guide
Guide

Ripjsh - Thank you for your comment.  That explains a lot of users' frustrations.  Users using iPhones seem to be successful and us Android folks are the ones that have not been able to make this work.  I would like to know if the Arlo support people are responsive at all.  Will they even admit that this is a problem?

rlpjsh
Star
Star

I'll post Support's reply when I receive it. New case #41756434.

jgchong
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Let me add one cent.

My router is TP-link and I setup OpenVPN.

My Android phone successfully connected to VPN, but Arlo app cannot access to local storage.

From my understanding, my phone has IP, 10.0.0.x/255.255.255.0 from TP-link VPN setting.  and Arlo hug gets IP, 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0  

I think Arlo app does not search over subnet.  It means, Alro app only search inside 10.0.0.x ( from 10.0.0.0~10.0.0.255).  Arlo does not search over 192.168.1.x range.

This is Arlo app design issue.

And even there is a bug on port forwarding, so it is useless now (whenever restarts Arlo app, it stops port forwarding).

I doubt Arlo is pushing users to subscribe their cloud.

so disappointed..... they can fix it.... but they do not...... or they don't want to fix....

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I think whatever is going on is a bit more then a port forwarding issue. I can't see any recordings cloud or otherwise if i am not connected to my local network. Very strange.

Port forwarding and Arlo services are completely independent. They really shouldn't have a impact on each other unless Arlo is trying to use our local attached storage and present it as cloud storage. If that is the case they should be chastised. I don't think it is though or atleast as of yet. They must have something else going on. 

No matter how you look at it though no not being able to see a single cloud recording when I have one camera on CVR and another with Arlo Smart is not a good thing. 

rlpjsh
Star
Star

@JamesC  I have not heard back from Support other than the automated email notifying me that Arlo case #41756434 had been created on June 18. 

Would you please check into this case and reply with a status update? Thanks!

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I seem to have made a little progress using android (Samsung S9+) and IPSec VPN on an ASUS router in that I at least get the option menu for which storage source to look at. Mye home network and VPN network are different subnets.

The only things I did were:

1) Changed the reserved IP by one and left out the assigned name. The idea being it would get a new reserved IP and assign its own name.

2) Rebooted the Arlo base station and confirmed it got the new IP

3) Enabled port forwarding although I DON'T have that forwarded on the router.

After that, the storage source menu appeared that had not been there before via VPN. Unfortunately if I select the base station it comes up with "There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue". I expect the Arlo team will be contacting me real soon now with a fix  😉

I've closed and restarted the app and the source menu is still there, but I still get the error when trying to list files on the hub.

I disable port forwarding again and there is no sign of the source menu even after an app restart. Re-enabled PF, restarted the app and the source menu is back.

I suspect the app looks for a hardcoded host name when connected via vpn but I have no idea why it would need the PF on even though it's not forwarded through the router. Perhaps it's required because of different subnets.

HTH

rlpjsh
Star
Star

I recently received a response from Support for the problem with the Android app not able to see local recordings using a VPN reported in June. After a couple of exchanges I was asked to post the problem to the Community board, so no resolution.

I actually had already opened a new thread on the Community board a couple of days earlier.

Many users have already requested local storage capability on an NAS device. That would certainly solve the problem of local recording access.

vnorred
Guide
Guide

Thanks Ripish - What is the name of your new thread?  I would like to see the comments.

vnorred
Guide
Guide

Sorry, I meant Rlpjsh.

Discussion stats
  • 59 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation