Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Turf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Previously local recordings (USB stick) were available to view on the app while on same network as base station
Now it consistently says “Videos stored on base station are not available. Please check connection settings.”
Everything is up to date and reset multiple times
This is a new problem
I don’t use the subscription service as that is intention of the local storage.
Any help would be appreciated
Best answers
  • Turf
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

Update!!
    Figured it out. The problem occurs on iPhone. It was a phone settings issue

Inside Settings / Privacy / Local Network make sure Arlo is turned on!!

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried rebooting your router and hub, in that order? Have you safely ejected the drive to verify local recordings are taking place? Try a different thumb drive (>16GB) and format it in the hub.

Turf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and tried that. No luck. I also tried different thumb drives.
This is the same setup I’ve had in the past.
Did Arlo change the capabilities for non-subscription systems? I used to be able to view the library from the app with no issues, Now I need to remove the thumb drive and view from my computer
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not that you wouldn't know but have you verified the hub model? Older bases require removing the drive to view videos but not the 4540.

By any chance are you using a VPN or anything else that might cause you to not actually be on your local network, maybe a guest WiFi?

Turf
Aspirant
Aspirant
The hub is correct. It is bit older model, and used to work fine

No VPN, no guest Wi-Fi. Unless there is some setting I’m unaware of, I don’t understand this.

Did Arlo change capabilities for non-subscription equipment? That wouldn’t be very nice of them
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Turf wrote:
The hub is correct. It is bit older model, and used to work fine

But it is a VMB4540?

@Turf wrote:

Did Arlo change capabilities for non-subscription equipment? That wouldn’t be very nice of them

No.

But there is an issue here for some folks.  One of my own bases shows this same error when I access local storage,  the other does not.  FWIW, I do have a subscription.

My understanding is that Arlo is investigating, but I haven't gotten any updates in a while.

Turf
Aspirant
Aspirant
When clicking Library, filter for Base Station (vs Cloud) the error message I get for any date is:

“Videos stored on Base
Station are not available.
Please check your connection
settings.”
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Turf wrote:
When clicking Library, filter for Base Station (vs Cloud) the error message I get for any date is:

“Videos stored on Base
Station are not available.
Please check your connection
settings.”

Yes, that is the error I get on one of my VMB5000 bases (but not the other).

Wandidj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here, stopped working a few days ago.  Reboots, etc. do not help.

Turf
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m going to just say. Arlo sucks. This is a major flaw in the service. Whatever they changed impacted this capability, while defeats the purpose of local storage making this system a waste of money.
wolf888
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, port forwarding is enabeld on router, but since a few weeks no access to the local ibrary. Done all what has been proposed here. Seems Arlo just want you to use and pay for their cloud service.

Hollyhawk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yup same problem - was all fine until about 3 weeks ago
Turf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update!!
Figured it out. The problem occurs on iPhone. It was a phone settings issue

Inside Settings / Privacy / Local Network make sure Arlo is turned on!!
wolf888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great spot Turf, so probably an apple update changed the previous setting on arlo, now it works perfectly

Why can Arlo support not let us now right away|?

rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

The "Videos store on Arlo SmartHub are not available" issue surfaced on my system a week ago. Prior to that perfect access to local USB Drive for years.

Records is still being captured on the USB Drive (can be viewed on my iMac when removed), but are no longer accessible via my iPhone.

Have checked my iPhone Settings, and Security, Privacy, Local Network, Arlo is On.

Rebooted my Telstra Modem Router, and Arlo VMB5000 SmartHub, no change.

Arlo Support, please, what do I do next...

Robert.

rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Five weeks later, and still no luck: Local video recordings are being captured, but cannot be accessed by iPhone..

I have toggled the iPhone Settings, Security, Privacy, Local Network, Arlo Of and On again, rebooted everything.

Aaaaaggghhh...

Come on Arlo, where are you? I need help desperately.

This kit has worked perfectly for years, but now, without access to local recording via iPhone, is essentially useless.

The local video recording have been vital to our security, alerting us that there has been an intruder.

Now NOTHING, unless I pull the video card from the base of the VBM5000, and into my iMac.

Come on Guys, grow up, reach out to your dedicated users, and help them out...

mogamb0
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact same issue. Everything was working fine a few weeks ago and now it’s not. Base Station is VMB5000

mogamb0
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE: So I finally got this working. 

Here’s what worked for me. Arlo App/ Settings/ Privacy Centre/ Content/ Reset & Erase Arlo Devices/ Reset & Erase all Devices, and then added them again manually. 

P.S. I had already tried formatting the SD card, reset all devices individually and that didn’t work, but this method worked.

For context, I have Arlo Ultra Cameras, Doorbell (Wire-free) & VMB5000 Base Station. Using an iPhone. 

Hope this helps. 

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation