Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
stargate125645
Guide
Guide

Since Arlo has been unable to fix their notification delay when subscribed to a Smart Plan, and further wants to charge a lot of money for such a plan that makes the experience worse, local storage seems to be the only way to go.  I have found the FAQ on enabling it and remote storage access, but it doesn't exactly go into a lot detail for those of us not familiar with VPNs on routers (or phones), or port forwarding.  Can anyone point me to a resource that explains this process better?  Supposing I manage to get that all enabled without a subscription, does the Arlo app still provide me with the near-instant notifications so that I can go to live feeds or view the recording?  Will the app still organize footage that's only stored locally the same way?

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stargate125645 wrote:

I have found the FAQ on enabling it and remote storage access, but it doesn't exactly go into a lot detail for those of us not familiar with VPNs on routers (or phones), or port forwarding. 

I suggest starting by trying it out on your home network only. That doesn't need any setup on your router.

@stargate125645 wrote:

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains this process better?  

The details depend on your router model, so the best option is to get the user manual for your router.  

In the specific case of Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk routers, the information for VPN is here:

https://kb.netgear.com/29783/How-do-I-use-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Android-device

Note there are links in this article for Windows, MacOS and iOS.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

and, for the sake of completeness:

How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
stargate125645
Guide
Guide

@michaelkenward, thank you, but those would be the FAQs I mentioned that I already found.

@StephenB, thank you for the information.  Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but what I really want is to understand how this works.  For example, my understanding of a VPN is that I have to log in to use it.  So, that means I'd have to log in before accessing the local storage, which would defeat the purpose of using local storage to avoid the AI delay from Arlo.  Is that not how this works?  Or would I be logged in at all times?  I'm also not sure how, once I create a VPN with my router, that I connect to the app to the Arlo local storage.

I want to avoid the 10 second delay in notification on the doorbell and any cameras I buy.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stargate125645 wrote:

For example, my understanding of a VPN is that I have to log in to use it.  

You would need to connect via the VPN in your mobile device in order to use it.  The VPN app that you install in the device will enable that. That connection should be persistent, though you might need to re-connect when you restart the mobile device.  

@stargate125645 wrote:

I'm also not sure how, once I create a VPN with my router, that I connect to the app to the Arlo local storage.

The VPN connects your remote device to your entire home network - including the Arlo base station.  So there is no need to "connect the app to the local storage".

stargate125645
Guide
Guide

@StephenB, so you're saying the app will automatically see the VPN connection to home base when logged in?  And I will therefore get the instant notifications of no AI while being able to access the live feed immediately upon responding to the notification?  If so, if I see the Pro 3 on sale again I may try this.  It's just a lot of money to spend on something that may not work!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stargate125645 wrote:

@StephenB, so you're saying the app will automatically see the VPN connection to home base when logged in? 

It should, yes.  Though one poster is saying that didn't work with his system.  However, port forwarding is working for him, and that doesn't need a VPN to be set up.

@stargate125645 wrote:

And I will therefore get the instant notifications of no AI while being able to access the live feed immediately upon responding to the notification?  

I didn't say that.  Notifications always go through the cloud (whether smart notifications are enabled or not).  You should be able to turn off the smart notifications w/o having to switch to local storage.

stargate125645
Guide
Guide

@StephenB, no one at Arlo support has been able to state whether disabling the smart notifications will eliminate the delay from the AI.  I have no problem subscribing for a cloud service, but I do not want a 10+ second delay as I don't care if the notification source was a person or animal.  Reviews I've seen show a significant delay when subscribed to their cloud service regardless, and make no mention of being able to disable the AI while still being subscribed.  It shouldn't be that hard for Arlo to allow cloud storage without requiring an AI delay.  I feel like if this were possible, Arlo support should have been able to answer that question long ago definitively.

In short, am I able to upload things to the cloud with their subscription service, but have those same cameras not delayed by AI before I get notified?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stargate125645 wrote:

@StephenB, no one at Arlo support has been able to state whether disabling the smart notifications will eliminate the delay from the AI.  I have no problem subscribing for a cloud service, but I do not want a 10+ second delay as I don't care if the notification source was a person or animal. 

You don't have a subscription now?

If your delay is ok now, then it will not increase if you use local storage (either with port forwarding or with a VPN). 

stargate125645
Guide
Guide

I do not have a subscription now, so I only know from video reviews where this is timed what to expect.  (Arlo was my frontrunner to move on from Ring until I discovered the notification delay.  Since they don't have IFTTT for the Pro 3 or Ultra, that notification delay is exceptionally important.)  If the delay without a Smart Plan is the same as the delay with a Smart Plan but with smart notifications disabled for the cameras, and I'm still able to load my footage to the cloud, that's all I need to know.  There's been no clear, explicit answer on this from Arlo support.

stargate125645
Guide
Guide

@StephenB, to put it another way:  Those with Arlo Pro 2 systems that do not subscribe get notifications in a few seconds.  I want that same notification speed with the Pro 3 even though I have to subscribe to a Smart Plan.  From what you're saying, that is possible if I simply remove those cameras from the smart notifications?  And I would still be able to upload footage to the cloud?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stargate125645 wrote:

@StephenB, to put it another way:  Those with Arlo Pro 2 systems that do not subscribe get notifications in a few seconds.  I want that same notification speed with the Pro 3 even though I have to subscribe to a Smart Plan.  From what you're saying, that is possible if I simply remove those cameras from the smart notifications?  And I would still be able to upload footage to the cloud?

I do understand what you are asking, but it's not a test I've tried to make.  But I believe you would get the same notification speed w/o smart with all cameras models.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation