Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
SRunions
Tutor
Tutor

I'm looking to upgrade my existing Arlo Pro 2 System *w/SmartHub VMB4000r3, by adding an Arlo Pro 3 Camera with New SmartHub. IT will give me larger coverage with 2 SmartHubs (Newer Pro3 SH at house, and Older Pro2 SH in another out-building, both connected to my Home LAN). I would like to have New Pro3 Cameras and a couple Arlo Pro2 Cameras connect to the house Pro3 SH, and the remainder of my Pro2 Cameras connect with the Pro2 SH in the out-building.

Is this a compatible method, and would it limit any Pro3 Features on the Pro3 Cameras connected to the Pro3 SH or any of the Pro2 Features on the Pro2 Cameras on either SH ... ?

With this Hybrid Configuration, can I still enjoy the Basic Plan (Free), or does the Pro3 require a Premium Plan ...?

One item on my wish list from Arlo or Alternate Accessory Supplier, would be the capability of Arlo to automatically toggle a Smart House Switch (Outside Spotlights Switch located in the House), as this would allow a trigger to turn on significant lighting for the cameras when needed. It would reduce Arlo Battery drain, and illuminate a larger and brighter field of view to record with the Arlo Cameras !

Lastly, my biggest challenge with outside cameras is spiders ! lol

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No problem with your proposed layout. The only potential fly in the ointment is the total number of cameras - only 5 max for the free plan. Also, note that the P3 cameras require a paid plan to have cloud recordings/be fully functional, just as with the Ultra cameras. You can use separate accounts per base/cameras attached to that base but then you can't use motion on one camera/base to trigger something on the other base. The appropriate paid plan would take care of all of this.

Don't forget about the Arlo lights which can be used to add light to recordings. You can run these off batteries or AC. These also allow cross-triggering to ensure detection and lighting.

Yer on yer own for spiders...  🙂

brh
Master
Master

@SRunions,

Since the Ultra and, ( I am assuming the Pro3), Smart Hubs have Zwave and Zigbee radios inside them for previously announced for new products slated for later release this year, I would purchase one of these kits. The Pro and Pro2 cameras work well with them.

Brian

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@brh wrote:

Since the Ultra and, ( I am assuming the Pro3), Smart Hubs have Zwave and Zigbee radios inside them for previously announced for new products slated for later release this year, I would purchase one of these kits. The Pro and Pro2 cameras work well with them.

One caveat is that the new Smart Hubs don't have a siren built into the base station.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation