Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JKevin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do like my Arlo set up and I think it works fairly well.  The big weakness, IMO, is that you have to bring the cameras inside to recharge.  (I do not have outdoor outlets that can be used on the shady areas of property.)  So, while looking at the Arlo website I see they offer a replacement battery to swap out when the one in the camera is low.  (view VMA56400-10000S) The website says it comes with a power adapter and charging cable.  

It is disappointing to find that the charging cable is for the camera, and you charge the battery by bringing the camera inside to charge it....

Here is my conversation this morning:  I couldn't help but laugh out load when he asks me why did I buy the extra battery...

AGENT: Glad to hear you're doing well.

USER: Rechargeable battery - Item # VMA5400-10000S
USER: The website says you can use the battery to replace the one in your camera

AGENT: Okay, so you bought a battery from the Arlo website and you did not receive a charging cable?

USER: Does the charging cable charge the battery?

AGENT: When you purchase a battery it doesn't come with a charging cable.

USER: Does the website say that it comes with a charging cable?

AGENT: The battery when inserted into your camera and the supplied charger from Arlo is inserted the camera should take a charge.

USER: Arlo website: Use this battery to replace a battery in your camera when it needs to be recharged
USER: Arlo website: this battery comes with a charging cable
USER: Arlo website does not say that the battery cannot be charged with the charging cable
USER: If I have to bring my camera inside to charge the extra battery....what is the point of the extra battery??

AGENT: Yes, however, you need to charge the battery as well.

USER: Of course. When I bought the original camera, did it come with a cable?

AGENT: If you are missing an item on your order you may contact the Pre-sales department at 1(866)7037170. They will be glad to assist you and answer your concern. Operating hours are between 6 am - 7 pm available during Mon-Fri (PST).

USER: Do you not see the problem?
USER: Arlo website: Use this battery to replace a battery in your camera when it needs to be recharged
USER: Arlo website: this battery comes with a charging cable
USER: This is misleading

AGENT: James, may I know if you are missing an item on your order?

USER: May I know if you think this is wrong?
USER: My item is missing a cable which does as the website claims

AGENT: Okay, I suggest you contact our Pre-sales department to claim the missing item in your order.

USER: Do you have a charging cable on your website which will charge the battery so I don't have to bring in my camera?
USER: I already called them. They sent me a charging cable for a camera - which I already owned.

AGENT: Oh, okay.
AGENT: I guesss you are looking for an outdoor cable.

USER: No one seems to understand that the website implies that you can charge this battery and have it ready to replace the one in your camera.
USER: The website implies that this extra battery comes with a charging cable to charge the battery
USER: Look at the website yourself. You will see.

AGENT: My apologies but I am from the technical department and yes it indeed says that you will receive one power adapter and 1 magnetic cable.

USER: If you saw the website, would you assume the adapter and cable would charge the battery?

AGENT: However, if you want an outdoor cable it is sold separately.

USER: If I had a way to plug in my camera outdoors I would not need an extra battery.

AGENT: The power adapter and cable would charge the battery if the battery is inserted into the camera.

USER: Think: If I have to bring my camera inside to recharge the extra battery, why do I need the extra battery?
USER: Can't I just bring my camera inside and charge the battery already inside the camera?

AGENT: However, the indoor cable is only for indoor use if you want the camera to be plug into a power source you need an outdoor cable VMA5600C-100NAS.

USER: I don't need an extra battery if I plug it in outdoors
USER: Ok, try this... Why does someone need an extra battery?
USER: To replace the one in their camera so they don't have to bring the camera inside. This is what is stated on the website
USER: How can I charge my extra battery?......
USER: Everyone at Arlo: "You install the extra battery into your camera, bring the camera inside and charge it"

AGENT: My apologies, may I know why did you purchase another battery?

USER: So that I can put the recharged battery in my camera. I do not have to bring the camera inside. It is more secure. If I bring the camera inside, I can record or see people on my property
USER: *Cannot

AGENT: Hmmm, the only way to charge the battery is when it is inserted into the camera. We have a charging station that you may use to charge your extra battery.
AGENT: We have a charging station that lets you charge up to two batteries at a time however it's not yet available on the arlo.com website.

USER: Yes. There is a charging station I can buy for another $50. Even though the website says that the Rechargeable Battery comes with a power adapter and charging cable.
USER: This is misleading. The website implies you can charge this battery with the supplied power adapter and cable. You cannot. You actually have to pay another $50 for the charging station.

AGENT: The Rechargeable Battery lets you swap out the existing rechargeable battery in your Arlo camera for a fully charged one. Again you can only charge the battery when it's inserted into your camera or on a charging station.

USER: exactly
USER: Does the website tell you that?

AGENT: You may visit our online website at arlo.com.
AGENT: You cannot charge the battery without the camera that is why a power adapter and a charging cable are provided for you to put on your camera to charge the battery.
AGENT: For other online options, you may visit our website @ support.arlo.com and community.arlo.com.
AGENT: For future reference, Here's your case number: 42437662
AGENT: Is there anything else I may further assist you with?

USER: I really do appreciate you taking the time.  How can get what the I website says?
USER: Does the website say: "You can swap out the existing battery, then bring the camera inside and charge it"?
USER: Why would I swap out the battery?
USER: LOL

AGENT: That's is pretty much what I can do for you today, I suggest that you purchase a charging station if you want to charge your extra battery.

USER: I don't want to return the battery, I want to be able to do what the website says I can do
USER: ....swap out the existing battery for a fully recharged one

AGENT: Again, the only way to charge the battery is when you insert it on your camera and plug the supplied adapter and charging cable that comes from the Arlo box.

USER: Again... what is the point of another battery then?

AGENT: My apologies but I honestly don't have an answer to why you purchase another battery, James.

USER: I bought it to do what the website says
USER: swap out the batteries
USER: But you can't swap them out
USER: Only if you bring it inside and charge it.
USER: The website says you can swap out the batteries for a fully charged one...right?

AGENT: Yes, when you swap the battery you may plug the charger into your camera and let the battery charge.

USER: I did not make up the idea of swapping out a fully charged battery. Arlo website tells me I can.
USER: Arlo.com says that I can just swap them out.
USER: But really, can I? No, I can't. Why can't I? Because I need to bring the camera inside to charge it!
USER: I have spent way too much time going around and around. I think I better let you go. If Arlo does not care that they are being misleading, that is their problem. I am left with an extra battery that does me no good because I cannot do what the website says I can do

Too much time spent on this, but it just feels wrong to imply that you can do something you can't actually do...and they will not acknowledge the error.   But perhaps I am in the wrong...

6 REPLIES 6
dcfox1
Master
Master

There is no charging cable for the battery since there is no where to plug it into on the battery itself. I bought the dual charging station and always have the extra battery ready. Or when you bring one camera inside to recharge, do both batteries before replacing the camera. The Charging station is much easier. 

smirk
Guide
Guide

I get where you're coming from. Frustrating customer service for sure.. I'm getting the sense that Arlo outsources their service (obvi) - but the company they outsource to has not a care in the world for how their poor service affects Arlo's reputation as a company.

Anyhow - check out Arlo Battery chargers on Amazon. 3rd party options for much less than $50 Arlo brand.

JKevin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the great advice.  I appreciate it.  

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

crazy conversation - thanks for the entertainment.

The benefit of the magnetic charging cable is you don't have to remove the camera to charge.  why not just take a charging cable on a nice day up the ladder, connect to an extension cord and just give a gentle tug so the magnet releases to remove?  why pay anything additional? 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@MVT wrote:

crazy conversation - thanks for the entertainment.

The benefit of the magnetic charging cable is you don't have to remove the camera to charge.  why not just take a charging cable on a nice day up the ladder, connect to an extension cord and just give a gentle tug so the magnet releases to remove?  why pay anything additional? 

You also do not have to remove the cam to swap the battery out. But if it works for you. 

JKevin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,  it felt a little like a Laurel and Hardy skit being played out....

For those who are curious, I bought the Arlo dual battery charger.  The website says it comes with cable.  The big question is:  Can the cable be used to charge the batteries without bringing your camera inside?  I can happily report that it does.  

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation