Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
GBM2B83
Aspirant
Aspirant
I like to sit on my front porch in the morning and drink my coffee, listen to the birds, and just generally gear up to start my day.

The first time I do this after setting up my front door camera i had a bit of an issue with overbearing notifications so I started to play around with my options. This was my experience:

Reposting the camera is not really an option.

Fist I started looking for the arm/disarm function in the app. I know I have seen that before but I remember it was not in a very imedately accessible location. I never ended up finding this option. I will look again. I have little doubt I will find it (and eventually remember where it is).

I did however, find a function to disable notifications. And to my pleasant surprise, it allows you to mute them on a timer. THAT'S GREAT! That way I don't have to worry about remembering to turn it back on. However there was still one significant issue. The camera still records which unnecessarily uses the battery and adds clutter to my video library. That however I can deal with. The larger issue is the spotlight. I need that on so it can capture a clear image of a malicious face at night and to scare away a potential intruder. And I naturally don't want it going off every time i take a sip of coffee. I really needed this function to disarm the camera or at least also disable the spotlight for the specified duration.

I haven't tried the motion detection zones yet. This might work but it could be very tricky to balance against make making sure i capture events I need to.

What would solve this for me would be to have a convenient button on the app's homepage that allows me to snooze motion detection on any cameras I select for a amount of time I plan on sitting on my porch.
5 REPLIES 5
Streak2
Master Master
Master

If you go into the device settings for that camera there is a slider for Device on/off is that what you're looking for?

Also, if there are specific times, you can use the schedule mode to tell the the system when you want it armed and when you want is not armed.

GBM2B83
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not exactly. I did find both the whole unit arm/disarm function as well as the control for individual cameras. Those options, however do not address the issue with ensuring the device(s) turns back on as stated above.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GBM2B83,

If your routine is the same every morning, you could set up a schedule to Arm and Disarm the cameras automatically during the desired time frames.

For more information on how to set up a schedule, take a look here: How can I set a schedule for my camera in my Arlo account?

JamesC

burgr86
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a second home 1700 miles away.  The home is serviced by pest control, pool and landscape professionals on a regular basis.  When they arrive I get a motion notification.  I would like to be able to disarm the system for a set period of time and then have it go back to the previous mode (in my case geofencing).  Too often I disarm the system and forget to rearm it for several days.

THIS HAS BEEN REQUESTED MORE THAN 5 YEARS AGO AND SIMPLY MUTING THE NOTIFICATIONS FOR A SET PERIOD IS NOT THE SOLUTION.  IF YOU ARE ON BATTERIES YOU DRAIN THEM BECAUSE OF THE CONSTANT RECORDING.

Today, I took the first step by NOT buying an arlo doorbell camera for our new place (primary home).  I will not invest another dime in Arlo if you continue to ignore such a necessary request.  This is not rocket since other vendors offer this.  Oh, and yes I am a software developer so I know this can be done.

CaveDweller
Tutor
Tutor

I too am a bit surprised that you can't disarm on a timer.  Anytime unloading groceries, etc, there is a flood of unnecessary videos taken.  Since you can already mute notifications on a timer, why not disarm on a timer?  Shouldn't be that hard. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation