Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
dagrev
Aspirant
Aspirant

Likely a dumb question but...does the solar panel need direct sunlight to charge and run a Pro 3 camera?  One camera that shows the drive lasts only 2 weeks, if that.  We live at a cul-de-sac and I try to limit what the camera sees but it still picks up a lot of turning around in our drive.  As a result, it uses battery a lot, it seems.  I'm thinking a solar panel will help, but under the eve it will get no direct sunlight, so will it work?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yes it needs direct sunlight to charge. It may still charge a little in partial shade at certain times of the day but may not enough to keep up especially with a lot of activity. It is a trickle charger so it will not charge as much as AC power. I have one and it keeps up in Full Sun with southern exposure  but sounds like you have a lot of activity so you may want to adjust the view. Even before I got a solar panel my batteries lasted around 2 months. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yes it needs direct sunlight to charge. It may still charge a little in partial shade at certain times of the day but may not enough to keep up especially with a lot of activity. It is a trickle charger so it will not charge as much as AC power. I have one and it keeps up in Full Sun with southern exposure  but sounds like you have a lot of activity so you may want to adjust the view. Even before I got a solar panel my batteries lasted around 2 months. 

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

the 25' outdoor magnetic power cable is $20 less than a solar panel and in my experience work great.  no worries about sunlight!  they come in black or white.  if you can get that close to an outlet that's what I'd choose.

dagrev
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you both for your insight.  I think I will need the 25ft power cord option then.  If I can run it so it doesn't look awful on the front of the house.  Less expensive than the solar panel!

Thanks!

dagrev
Aspirant
Aspirant

Follow up question: Will any power cable made to fit arlo work or does it need to specifically be for a Pro 3? I've found several options that are about half the price as the Arlo brand.  Thanks

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

your mileage may vary - I had arlo pro and tried to use 3rd party cables with an ALRO brand charger and after a few days would get error messages that it was the wrong charger and the battery would go flat.  this time around I went with the arlo pro 3 because they offered a permanent outdoor charging solution.  I brought the arlo pro to a closer location where I can tend to the batteries

dagrev
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback.  I ordered a cable and we'll see how it goes.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation