Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Bama2k19
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

We're looking to purchase 6 Pro 3 cameras and have questions as to how to best connect them.

If i have 3 distinct areas that need to be covered (each 150' feet away from the next). We have multiple wireless accces points throughout the building to provide wifi coverage.

How do I best connect them together? Arlo hubs? existing wifi access points? I have no problem running new ethernet cables if necessary.. 

Thanks in advance

16 REPLIES 16
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bama2k19 wrote:

How do I best connect them together? Arlo hubs? existing wifi access points? I have no problem running new ethernet cables if necessary.. 

The Pro 3 cameras connect to the Arlo base station using a closed wifi network - they don't connect to your WAPS.

In your case I suggest 3 base stations, running ethernet to the three locations.  While Arlo claims the camera can connect up to 300 feet from the base,  you'd be more likely to get that outdoors (and even then I wouldn't count on it).

Bama2k19
Aspirant
Aspirant

so run cat6 cable to 2 additional arlo hubs... and then connect those cables to a switch that also has the arlo base station connected to it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bama2k19 wrote:

so run cat6 cable to 2 additional arlo hubs... and then connect those cables to a switch that also has the arlo base station connected to it?

That would work.  And of course the bases do need to be able to reach  the internet.

Not sure if you can purchase the Pro3 bases (VMB4540).  But you can purchase the Ultra VMB5000, and the Pro3 will connect to the VMB5000.  If you want to connect storage to the bases (which I recommend), you'd connect a thumb drive to the VMB4540, but insert a microSD card in the VMB5000 bases.

Bama2k19
Aspirant
Aspirant

gotcha. Thanks for the reply

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also be aware that you don't need to run long Ethernet cables - a WiFi or powerline extender per base may be of use.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jguerdat wrote:

Also be aware that you don't need to run long Ethernet cables - a WiFi or powerline extender per base may be of use.

But if you can run a network cable...do it!  It is often more difficult, but a better solution.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jguerdat wrote:

The first message said the user has "multiple wireless acces points". If these have LAN ports, then I would try them before going through the hassle of running LAN cables everywhere.

Sure, wired is better, but if wifi works, why not?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@michaelkenward wrote:

RF is a dynamic environment.  It depends  on where your system is located and the other devices and physical structures around it.  What works today may not work tomorrow if RF conditions change.  Also, with regard to standard Wi-Fi devices (not a dedicated backhaul channel) the more devices and traffic we add, the more opportunity for package collisions.  Packet collisions require retransmission which then decreases performance and wastes the inherent capacity of the frequency.  Wired Infrastucture tends to be more deterministic and controlled.  It also uses  switched connectivity which isolates the devices better than a single CSMA/CD frequency domain,

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@michaelkenward wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

The first message said the user has "multiple wireless acces points". If these have LAN ports, then I would try them before going through the hassle of running LAN cables everywhere.

I missed the first part of your post.  The original poster did indeed say "multiple wireless access points", but that doesn’t mean those WAPs include Ethernet ports.  A lot of pure APs do not have extra ports.  Some mesh satellites do, of course. (Orbi for example).  I  assume those ports would be fine if they are available. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

That's why I said "If these have LAN ports".

I could not think of a way to make it even clearer.

Powerline is also a good idea. I use it for my Arlo hub. Plenty fast enough.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

My experience with power line connections in older homes has not been good, but perhaps in newer homes they work just fine.

Bama2k19
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have a 24 port PoE switch that our multiple Unifi AC Pro Access points connect to. They have a 2nd port on them to chain another access point off them if you want to.  

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@AncientGeek wrote:

My experience with power line connections in older homes has not been good, but perhaps in newer homes they work just fine.

Powerline works fine here with wiring installed >40 years ago. Certainly fast enough to handle Arlo hubs and Orbi routers on my 70 Mbps Internet service.

Just another user
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@AncientGeek wrote:

Powerline works fine here with wiring installed >40 years ago. Certainly fast enough to handle Arlo hubs and Orbi routers on my 70 Mbps Internet service.

@Bama2k19 said he was fine with running ethernet cables, and if that is easy to do, then I'd recommend it over powerline or using wireless extenders.  Also, FWIW,  commercial-grade WAPs generally don't have LAN ports.

I've tested powerline products, and in my home they are hit-or-miss - especially when the two circuits are on different panels in my basement.  So my experience is similar to @AncientGeek's 

In a large building, the power feed is often three-phase, with different phases being used on different circuits.  I don't think powerline will handle that very well.  In addition to wiring, their performance also depends on the circuit loading. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
“ We have a 24 port PoE switch that our multiple Unifi AC Pro Access points connect to. They have a 2nd port on them to chain another access point off them if you want to. ”

Those are nice APs. I have one and some Flex-HDs I just installed with a UDM.

The AC Pro port might work. You just need to run a 2nd cable from the AP location (likely a ceiling or wall) to your nearby base station.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AncientGeek wrote:

The AC Pro port might work. You just need to run a 2nd cable from the AP location (likely a ceiling or wall) to your nearby base station.

Yes, that probably would also work (unless of course the WAPs are already daisy-chained).

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation