Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection via a new laptop and phone

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Aussiebob
Tutor
Tutor

I have a new phone and laptop both Apple, I initially had an android phone and windows laptop.  I have the same mobile number.  I can connect via my phone without an issue but when I try to connect via my Apple laptop I get a notice saying not recognised device and I wait for the push notice that never comes.  Please help.

Thanks in advance and cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aussiebob
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Dannybear,

It worked, thank you very much for your assistance.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dannybear
Master
Master
Since the iPhone is working and your able to login ok, try setting the iPhone as the primary device to receive the two factor verification request.
On the arlo app using the iPhone, tap on settings (bottom right), tap on profile, tap on login settings, tap on two factor verification, tap edit and select the iPhone as primary.
gibsongilbert
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Aussiebob wrote:

I have a new phone and laptop both Apple, I initially had an android phone and windows laptop.  I have the same mobile number.  I can connect via my phone without an issue but when I try to connect via my Apple laptop I get a notice saying not recognised device and I wait for the push notice that never comes.  Please help.

I know that you could probably pull it off if you have a Mac with both wifi and an ethernet port, even if that ethernet port is a dongle. macOS has an Internet Sharing feature that will allow you to route one interface to another, so the wifi could connect to your hotspot and then send that signal over ethernet so your base station could be wired to the Mac as a source of internet. It may not be perfectly stable depending on cellular coverage and might eat a good bit of data, but I’d think it would work well enough for a temporary setup.

If you’ve got a PC, the same sort of thing may be possible, but I’m not sure what software you’d use off the top of my head.

Just a random thought, but I’d be glad to give more detail if it’d help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gibsongilbert wrote:

@Aussiebob wrote:

I know that you could probably pull it off if you have a Mac with both wifi and an ethernet port, even if that ethernet port is a dongle. macOS has an Internet Sharing feature that will allow you to route one interface to another, so the wifi could connect to your hotspot and then send that signal over ethernet so your base station could be wired to the Mac as a source of internet. It may not be perfectly stable depending on cellular coverage and might eat a good bit of data, but I’d think it would work well enough for a temporary setup.

If you’ve got a PC, the same sort of thing may be possible, but I’m not sure what software you’d use off the top of my head.

@Aussiebob's issue isn't getting internet to the base.  It's getting past the two factor veriication on the login.

FWIW, Windows PCs have had internet connection sharing for a very long time.  The feature made a lot of sense back when PCs dialed into the internet through a modem.  Today, home routers/gateways make the feature largely irrelevant.  

One issue using a laptop is that when the laptop is off, the connection stops.  Not great for a security camera.

Aussiebob
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you that was my problem.

Cheers.

Aussiebob
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Dannybear,

It worked, thank you very much for your assistance.

Cheers.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation