Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Kmb2022
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone provide any insight on connecting the Smarthub to my Wi-Fi without a router or Ethernet? I have a jet-pack for internet and Wi-Fi extender. I’ve tried connecting with tech support but they won’t allow me to talk to a live person. Terrible customer service!

6 REPLIES 6
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Kmb2022 wrote:
Can anyone provide any insight on connecting the Smarthub to my Wi-Fi without a router or Ethernet? I have a jet-pack for internet and Wi-Fi extender. I’ve tried connecting with tech support but they won’t allow me to talk to a live person. Terrible customer service!

You can't. The hub must be connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. The cameras then connect to the Hub on the Hub's own wifi network. So your home wifi has nothing to do with this. If your wifi extender with an Ethernet Port you can connect the Hub to that with a cable. You listed the VMB3500 but said smart hub do you have a smarthub (VMB4540 or 5000) as Pro3 will not connect to the VMB3500?

Kmb2022
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s the WMB4540. I have the hub connected to the extender but not getting a connection. I honestly have no idea what I’m doing.😞
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Kmb2022 wrote:
It’s the WMB4540. I have the hub connected to the extender but not getting a connection. I honestly have no idea what I’m doing.😞

Did it work when set up with Ethernet cable on your router or is this a first time setup? Do other devices connect to the extender via wifi or the Ethernet cable connected to the extender like the hub needs. 

Kmb2022
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is the first time I’m hooking any of it up. I bought the extender just for this. Never used it before.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Kmb2022 wrote:
This is the first time I’m hooking any of it up. I bought the extender just for this. Never used it before.

I would try setting it up connected to your router and connect to the extender later if you feel you need it. You should read the FAQ pined at the top of this forum if you didn't read them as there is info on set up.  Here is a link to the manual also. 

Arlo Pro 3 User Manual

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the jetpack doesn't have ethernet out, you have to use the extender.

But first make sure the extender is connected with the jetpack wifi.  The extender will have a different network name, so you can test this by joining the extender's wifi network.  There is a setup procedure for the extender, so check the manufacturer's web site for documentation.  You could also let us know the manufacturer/model here.

Once that is done, you should be able to connect the VMB4540 base to the extender's ethernet port.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation