Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jerzyskol46
Follower
Follower

I'm gonna be picking up a set of the pro 3's and I know I can use local storage and the cloud. However once that 3 month trial ends I was gonna look into using an external HDD and not pay for the subscription. Will I still be able to access the recordings that are on the HDD on the arlo app or do I have to hook the HDD to my pc to view the recordings? Last question do I need to use a specific brand of external HDD or can it be any USB connected HDD.

THANKS

4 REPLIES 4
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Arlo recommended not using a external hdd and using a basic memory thumb stick. I use a 64gb and will last around 30 days using 3 cameras, maybe go 128gb if you want more days before it overwrites
dcfox1
Master
Master

@jerzyskol46  Just to add remember you will need 16GB or more to work. 

Kevtul
Aspirant
Aspirant

Once the subscription ends will you be able to access the recordings in the thumb drive from your phone (like the cloud)? Or will you have to remove the thumb drive and place in PC to view? 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Kevtul wrote:

Once the subscription ends will you be able to access the recordings in the thumb drive from your phone (like the cloud)? Or will you have to remove the thumb drive and place in PC to view? 

If you have the VMB4540 you listed yes but there are no picture thumbnails and you have to download to view in app. You can still use a PC with the Thumb drive to view. That a limitation so to me the subscription is worth it but it is a personal preference. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation