Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera no longer being triggered by action at a distance? How to correct it?

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

The question is about the H3 camera (which is how the model is expressed on the app — Arlo messes with its nomenclature).

The camera is no longer being triggered by action at a distance that it had been capturing before with no problem. The field of view is still the same, but only activity closer in will trigger recording. Anyone have any idea why this might happen, and how I can correct it? Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

Anyone have any idea why this might happen, and how I can correct it? Thanks.

Temperature can affect PIR sensors, so if you are experiencing a heat wave the range might be reduced.

If you haven't already maxed the motion sensitive setting, you can increase it and see if it helps.  Note you change the settings in the rule for the camera - the setting in the motion detection test is only for that test. 

https://kb.arlo.com/41/How-do-I-change-the-motion-sensitivity-on-my-Arlo-camera

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated. I understand the notion of "rules" for devices, but cannot find that parameter on the app. Video Settings offer brightness, image rotate and power management; Activity zones seems to be only to limit where the cam can look. (PS: I did try to create a zone in specific area but now it registers m no activity at all. How do I get rid of the purple "zone"?) Where do I find the rules parameters? Thanks.

Also, this:

...tells me to Tap Mode, Select the device you want to adjust. However, the only device it lets me see is base station, no camera. Very confusing

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

...tells me to Tap Mode, Select the device you want to adjust. However, the only device it lets me see is base station, no camera. Very confusing

If you use a base station, then the mode controls all the cameras in the base.  First you select the base, then you'll see the modes for that base.  Then select the mode you want to adjust (almost certainly Armed in your case). You'll see a rule for each camera, and that rule will have an motion sensitivity setting.  I agree this is confusing.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

@danwriter wrote:

How do I get rid of the purple "zone"?)

I find it easier to set up activity zones in a PC browser (my.arlo.com).  There you simply select the zone with the mouse, and then delete it.  I also get more precision with the mouse than I can get with my fingers.

You can delete them from the app also.  You touch the Zone (not in the main image, but in the list underneath), and swipe left.  You'll see a delete control.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stephen: Removing the  purple restriction was quite easy, as you said — just swipe left. I never would have thought that function was there.

I also found the rules for the camera where you said I would, and I adjusted the sensitivity to 100% (it had been at ~80%). However, the camera is still not recording activity at the same distance it had been before. Any further suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Dan

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

Removing the  purple restriction was quite easy, as you said — just swipe left. I never would have thought that function was there.

Yes, it is very well hidden.

@danwriter wrote:

I also found the rules for the camera where you said I would, and I adjusted the sensitivity to 100% (it had been at ~80%). However, the camera is still not recording activity at the same distance it had been before.

Are you being affected by the current heat wave?  The camera looking for changes in the background heat, not at the pixels. When the ambient temp is around body temperature, it will be harder for the PIR sensors to detect the temperature difference  (since it is smaller).   So there is a temp range where the detection range drops.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

It has been insanely hot in recent weeks but temps are now moderating. I'll give it a day or two and report back. Thank you.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stephen: As promised, I gave it several days. Weather is perfect. Still same issue: camera record isn't triggering when motion passes by at the same distance it used to. The camera has the same field of view but when I walk through that field of view it sees me but doesn't record. When I get close up on it, about half the distance as before, it will record. I tried moving the camera's direction slightly but that didn't help. Any further suggestions on  why it suddenly stopped recording at distances it always had? Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

Any further suggestions on  why it suddenly stopped recording at distances it always had? 

Unfortunately I don't have any other ideas/suggestions.  @JamesC or one of the other mods might.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. How do I reach out directly to James C?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

Thanks. How do I reach out directly to James C?

Using the @ in front of his user name tags him, so he's already received a notification calling his attention to this conversation.  So he'll likely chime in.  You can also send a private message (PM) to him, using the envelope icon at the top right of the forum page.

Other Arlo mods might also reply here - Arlo employees all have an Arlo logo after their user name.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

danwriter,

What is the distance at which you're trying to detect motion? While the camera may detect motion beyond it's expected range (~23 feet), it will be inconsistent. There are a number of environmental factors to consider in this scenario but the first and most important is how far away from the camera is the motion you're trying to detect?

JamesC

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

James: Thanks for the quick response.  Not sure of the exact distance, I'd estimate ~ 35 feet. But — and this is critical — the camera has been recording activity at that same distance consistently for over a year. The question is, why did it suddenly stop catching activity at the same distance it had been working at all along? It was fine over the course of a year-plus during which it rained, snowed, was 90 degrees F and 19 degrees F.  Nothing has changed except the camera's performance. What could cause that? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's important to understand the distances involved. As mentioned, 23 feet is the maximum effective distance for motion detection. It's possible the camera had been inconsistently detecting motion beyond that. Environmental changes could also play a factor here.

As a test, is this same camera effectively detecting motion inside 23 feet or are you experiencing issues there as well?

JamesC

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC:  The camera records fine at closer distances. The only thing that's changed is the distance at which motion/recording is triggered. 

I have one other H3 camera (both were installed at the same time) and will try switching them, placing the alternate in the same mount as the currently dodgy one. I will report back after doing the experiment. Thanks.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm moving the other camera to the same position as the "problem " camera today and will monitor it for a few days to see if there is a difference, and will report back.

However, in the meantime, I noticed that one camera's hardware is listed as H3 (the "problem" camera) and the other as H4. Both cameras were purchased and installed at the exact same time and from and b y the exact same source (Best Buy Geek Squad). Why do they have different model numbers? (PS: both have the same firmware installed, and "no updates are available.") Thanks.
Dan

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation