Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station (VMB4540 for Pro 3) cannot connect to Netgear Nighthawk RAX120

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
johnnguyen000
Aspirant
Aspirant

After swapping out my old modem/router to the Netgear Nighthawk RAX120, my Arlo base station (VMB4540) cannot access the internet.

First I thought it was the Ethernet connect was the issue, so I replaced the base station with another device and internet connectivity was all good. So it wasn't physical connection.

Secondly, I attempted resetting the base station to factory settings and re-added the base station. Again, no success.

Funny thing, the light in the base station is blue. I believe that means it has internet connection. Right?

From the mobile app the base station occasionally appears as "online" and occasionally "offline"; more times than not.

Every time I think the base station is stable and I attempt to add a camera (Pro 3) and the base station loses internet connectivity during the search for firmware updates. At this time, the baes station light is flashing amber. Every single time. Without fail. Then a check on the mobile app indicates the base station is now "offline".

Any ideas in how to correct this issue, anyone?

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Describe how you reset the system. Did you remove all devices from Settings, My Devices? Did you hold the reset button for >10 seconds, until the LED started flashing amber?

johnnguyen000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I started by removing all cameras.

Then I removed the base station.

Performed a hard reset on the base station by poking the reset button for more than 10 seconds until the LED started flashing amber. After flashing amber for a while, it turned to a constant blue again. But still, the same internet connectivity symptoms were observed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be useful to reset the router to clear out anything that would block access to arlo.com. Things like MAC filtering or other security settings can cause this. The hub needs ports 80, 123 and 443 to be open to arlo.com. Have you made any router customizations that could be causing this?

johnnguyen000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just performed a hard/factory reset of the modem/router (Netgear Nighthawk RAX120) and the same problem persists.

After reseting, all I did enable enable internet access by entering the credentials.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@johnnguyen000 wrote:

I just performed a hard/factory reset of the modem/router (Netgear Nighthawk RAX120) and the same problem persists.

Do you use the parental controls/armor security features of the router?  Or perhaps mac address controls?

Also, have you tried a different ethernet port on the router?

johnnguyen000
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are no parental control features on my router and are therefore not enabled.
After the last factory reset, I have not enabled any other security features either.

I just went through all settings on the router: basic and advanced. I do not see anything suggesting MAC address controls.

I have tried different ethernet ports, keeping in mind that other devices work from all ports, just not the Arlo hub/base station.

Any other pointers, solutions or suggestions would be very much appreciated. And thank you thus far.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@johnnguyen000 wrote:

I do not see anything suggesting MAC address controls.

ADVANCED > Security > Access Control either is set to allow all devices to connect, or has rules to allow/block individual devices based on their MAC addresses.  

The default is to allow all devices to connect, so if you didn't change that, it should be fine.

@johnnguyen000 wrote:

There are no parental control features on my router and are therefore not enabled.

It is a bit confusing - Armor is listed in the datasheet, and various Netgear KB articles, but not in the user manual.  If it is there, then it could be getting in the way.

@johnnguyen000 wrote:

Every time I think the base station is stable and I attempt to add a camera (Pro 3) and the base station loses internet connectivity during the search for firmware updates. At this time, the base station light is flashing amber.

Flashing amber is supposed to signal a camera connection problem- https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Have you tried resetting the camera?  How far away is it from the base?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may have a faulty hub. I'd suggest using the Contact Support link at the bottom here to possibly get a replacement.

johnnguyen000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will try to get a replacement.
Thank you

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation