Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 3 - solar

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Drock64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will a Arlo camera work if connected to a USB port on a solar charge controller ? I have a 200watt solar( 2- 100amp batteries) system in my detached garage,  planning to install a camera to provide a view of my backyard and rear of my house.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Drock64 wrote:

I will verify the usb power output and port type, although it is used to charge my mobile phones ( android & IPhone). 

It should work if the current output on the USB port is 2 amps.  If you have an inverter, then you could also connect the normal Arlo charger to the inverter output.

This will behave a bit differently from the Arlo solar panel.  The camera can detect the Arlo panel, and trickle-charges the battery when it is connected.

With your setup, the camera will think it is being charged from normal AC power when the controller is providing power.  It should automatically revert to battery operation otherwise.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may depend on whether that USB port is an "in-ie" or an "out-ie" as well as whether it provides appropriate power. If it acts like a normal USB port, plugging in the Arlo cable should be fine.

Drock64
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will verify the usb power output and port type, although it is used to charge my mobile phones ( android & IPhone). 12 volt system .

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Drock64 wrote:

I will verify the usb power output and port type, although it is used to charge my mobile phones ( android & IPhone). 

It should work if the current output on the USB port is 2 amps.  If you have an inverter, then you could also connect the normal Arlo charger to the inverter output.

This will behave a bit differently from the Arlo solar panel.  The camera can detect the Arlo panel, and trickle-charges the battery when it is connected.

With your setup, the camera will think it is being charged from normal AC power when the controller is providing power.  It should automatically revert to battery operation otherwise.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation