Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Frag333
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello. I have the Arlo pro and vmb4000r3 base station. I am looking into purchasing the Arlo pro 3. Will The new camera be fully compatible with the older base station? If yes are there any limitations or functionality I will be missing? What are my options if I do not want to use the smart plan? I do not like that there is a 10-15 second delay in notification due to having to send the information to your servers and back. Because these cameras are for home security, I need the notifications to come through immediately like they do now with my older camera. Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your base is compatible with the Pro 3:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062253/Is-Arlo-Pro-3-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system

The camera will work in the same way as your existing cameras. Any delay will be the same - there is always the connection to the servers and back. The cameras/base do not send you the alert - the servers do.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your base is compatible with the Pro 3:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062253/Is-Arlo-Pro-3-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system

The camera will work in the same way as your existing cameras. Any delay will be the same - there is always the connection to the servers and back. The cameras/base do not send you the alert - the servers do.

Frag333
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the reply. But with the older models, we do not have a subscription service and there is no smart plan. Meaning the camera does not have to send to the sever to be analyzed( person, animal, etc) so there is no delay. I get a notification in about a second. Every post I’ve seen regarding the smart plan says there is a long delay because of this analysis that takes place. I don’t want the smart plan and I don’t want the analysis. I just need the system to alert me immediately if it sees motion. And after spending a long time reading through posts on here it appears this a huge issue and complaint. Before I shell out several hundred dollars I need to understand if I can get around not using the smart plan.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Frag333 wrote: I need to understand if I can get around not using the smart plan.

If you were to purchase a new base (VMB5000 or VMB4540) you could use direct access to local storage.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Frag333
Aspirant
Aspirant
That could be an option. Are you able to view your library the same way using the app?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Frag333 wrote:
That could be an option. Are you able to view your library the same way using the app?

You can (the steps are in the kb article).  But you can't view the local files from the web client.

You would also lose thumbnails, which is a problem for a lot of people.   

You do need to either forward a port in your router or use a VPN to connect to your router in order to view the videos when you aren't connected to your hone wifi network.

Frag333
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s sounds like a real pain. Might have to look into the Ring cameras. The more I read here, the more I see complaints and bad customer service.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Frag333 wrote:
 Might have to look into the Ring cameras. 

AFAIK, Ring doesn't offer any storage for any camera unless you have a paid subscription.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation