Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Nicknasty
Follower
Follower
I`ve had Arlo Pro 3 system with 3 cameras for over a year now. During this time I`ve had 5 incidents requiring verification from the recordings. None were found. It seems Arlo Cloud skips a lot of material. I don`t know how it works or does it have an inbuilt AI that decides what to delete. All I know that out of maybe 30 repetitive daily clips around 5-10 never end up on the tape. If you are recording something of importance I would advise to stay clear from Arlo Cloud

After all the mishaps i`ve purchased SSD drive and startd recording cameras locally. It all seemed to work fine, no drops on the recording as far as I could tell. I am missing the preview though so not a perfect solution. 

Two days ago I had yet another incident requiring verification from the video. Oh the horror;  Arlo had stopped recording from that camera 4 days prior for no reason. Immediately after I logged into the system the recordings started magigally again as nothing had happened. It appears Arlo was hibernating and not recording any videos. Accessing it with the app woke it up. 

This is absolutely horrible track record. Arlo gives me false sense of security and cameras never work when I actually need them. I am curious to know why Arlo keeps receiving high ratings from the users. Am i the only one who has this happening?  I would like to know if anyone else has had similar experiences and have they been able to resolve the issues?

I am runing Arlo system with ethernet connected to fast fiber optic network, all cameras are within the operating range and motion activation and other settings are fine. 
5 REPLIES 5
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
All i can say is welcome to the club!
until i find a new camera system worth changing to, i also now use a memory stick without the cloud service (no point paying for something that doesnt work!), but for my main front camera i also pay for the cvr subscription which rarely has many issues, you do need permanent power though with using at least a genuine arlo plug as the after market plugs dont provide enough variable volts and creates havoc with cameras.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First you have to understand how Smart works. A video is recorded and sent to the servers for post-processing. The AI determines what it thinks the object that caused the recording and matches that against your settings in Smart Notifications. If there's no match, the video is discarded, otherwise it's sent to your library. 

Use of local recordings is useful for those "missing" recordings since they're the same video that  got sent out in the first place but no post-processing was done (they're local, not on the server). You can use these recordings to see what was recorded but discarded by Smart.

Smart isn't always - that's why you can donate a video (if it's in the library) and the local recordings are a good way to check. You can also deactivate any camera from Smart so you get all recordings as well as change what subjects you have selected in your account.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

First you have to understand how Smart works. A video is recorded and sent to the servers for post-processing. The AI determines what it thinks the object that caused the recording and matches that against your settings in Smart Notifications. If there's no match, the video is discarded, otherwise it's sent to your library. 

Just want to add that cloud activity zones work the same way.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As a clarification, Activity Zones are the only time video will be discarded after smart analytics takes place. Adjusting smart notification toggles will suppress push notifications but library recordings should still be present, see here for an example of how person notification works: How do I enable the Arlo Smart person detection feature?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@JamesC  Thanks for clarifying. What you described is the way my system works, I get all smart recordings in the Cloud regardless of on or off  just not the notifications for those that are off.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation