Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro3 Downloads won't play and return format unsupported in Windows player

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pdill66
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you get the video downloads to play? I download the clip as mp4 but when it attempts to play in the media player it returns a message the format is currently unsupported, or the file is corrupted. I have tried on my PC and phone and all downloads fail to play

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pdill66 wrote:

I have tried on my PC and phone and all downloads fail to play

What model phone?  What version of iOS/Android is it running?

As @Dannybear says, the issue is likely the HEVC codec (which Arlo uses for 2K and 4K recordings).  Start by installing the VLC media player on the PC, and confirm that it will play your media.

The Microsoft HEVC extension doesn't work with old PCs - it requires a 6th generation AMD or Intel processor or later.  FWIW, it doesn't just enable HEVC for Edge - it also enables it for the Windows Movie player, plus it adds support for a related photo format (HEIC) in Photos and some other programs (for instance, Paint).  Unfortunately Chrome and Firefox won't play HEVC, even with the extension.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dannybear
Master
Master
The reason for the error is likely due to the hevc requirement.
You have to buy the windows codec from Microsoft to play in edge.
You could also use VLC app which is free.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pdill66 wrote:

I have tried on my PC and phone and all downloads fail to play

What model phone?  What version of iOS/Android is it running?

As @Dannybear says, the issue is likely the HEVC codec (which Arlo uses for 2K and 4K recordings).  Start by installing the VLC media player on the PC, and confirm that it will play your media.

The Microsoft HEVC extension doesn't work with old PCs - it requires a 6th generation AMD or Intel processor or later.  FWIW, it doesn't just enable HEVC for Edge - it also enables it for the Windows Movie player, plus it adds support for a related photo format (HEIC) in Photos and some other programs (for instance, Paint).  Unfortunately Chrome and Firefox won't play HEVC, even with the extension.

pdill66
Aspirant
Aspirant
VLC install resolved the issue. Thanks
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation