Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
vabdilov
Guide
Guide
Just recently bought Arlo Pro3 2K QHD set with 3 cameras from Costco in July 2020.
How many cameras can the VMB4540r2 SmartHub can handle in total?
All of the additional camers are supported for free, or should I pay for any single additional camera?
SmartHub:
HW Version: VMB4540r2
Firmware 1.16.2.4_597_f4757f1
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's kind of a loaded question. No doubt the hardware has gotten upgrades to handle the new cameras but it's really the number of cameras streaming at once, not the number synced to the hub. I forget now but I think it's 2-3 cameras streaming at the highest resolution that's supported simultaneously. Of course, your upload speed would be important, too, since you could potentially swamp it if too low (10Mbps or less).

Also, starting with the Ultra cameras, ALL Arlo cameras require a subscription once the trial period is over. Otherwise, only local recording is supported for viewing via the app. The subscriptions are for up to 5 cameras so single camera add-ons aren't needed unless you go over that number.

vabdilov
Guide
Guide

My set is Arlo Pro3 2K QHD, not ULTRA.  Please, let's clarify.

1) For example, I bought 15 cameras Arlo Pro3 2K and try to connect all of them to the same single base VMB4540r2 SmartHub. I need to get them streaming videos only in case, if any motion is detected, but no needs to stream videos permanently. Will it work?

2) If I connect the SmartHub to an external USB harddrive, do I still need a subscription once the trial period is over, or not?

vabdilov
Guide
Guide

Dear Guru,

Is it possible to answer this simple question, please?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vabdilov,

1.) Take a look her for more information about streaming cameras simultaneously: How many Arlo cameras can I view at the same time?

2.) With Arlo Pro 3, an Arlo Smart subscription is required for recordings to be saved to the cloud. If you choose not to subscribe to Arlo Smart, you can record locally to an external storage device using Direct Storage Access. For more information, see here: What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@vabdilov wrote:

Dear Guru,

Is it possible to answer this simple question, please?

The above is what I said in a different way.

vabdilov
Guide
Guide

The communication below was really fruitless...

Eventually, I had to call Arlo customer support to get the information I have asked for. This is what I have learned from my call (please, correct me if I misunderstood anything). 

One single base station such as the VMB4540r2 SmartHub can handle in total up to 20 cameras. The following options are provided according to the current Arlo's policy:

1. One VMB4540r2 connected to up to 5 cameras - no subscription (subscription is optional). User can record videos on local USB drive connected to SmartHub instead of Cloud. No subscription - no an ability to add more cameras to a single SmartHub
  2. One VMB4540r2 connected to up to 5 cameras - with subscription $9.99 per month. User can add up to 15 more cameras to a single SmartHub at $1.45 per camera in a month. 

If I need 9 cameras, then the expenses can be the following (per current prices at Costco):

• set of VMB4540r2 SmartHub with 3 cameras - $499.99
  • set of 6 addition cameras (selling 2 cameras in a pkg) - $339.99 x 3 = $1019.97

Equipment: $1519.96; TAX (9.25%): $140.50; TOTAL: $1660.46

Subscription: 1 month: $9.99 + ($1.45 x 4 = $5.80) = $15.79; 1 year: $189.48

-------------------------------

This is what information I expected to get. Anyway, Dear Guru - Thank you!

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation