Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Maninavan
Tutor
Tutor

Does anyone know what the “end of life” (withdrawal of support) is for Pro 3 cameras?

I was considering building up my current three camera system but I am reconsidering due to recent correspondence received regarding an “end of life” policy for Arlo cameras.

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would be useful to read the EOL policy:

https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/Arlo_End-of-Life-Policy-2022.pdf

as well as this:

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

Any particular camera will ultimately be EOLed according to the policy statement. You would have notification as to when it happens but that's in the unforeseeable future. If starting to build a new system that's as future-proofed as possible, use the newest cameras, if possible. And don't forget that EOL means the cameras continue to operate while various support items cease.

Jso123
Initiate
Initiate

One of my Pro 3 cameras no longer works.  Customer service kindly sent me a 30% discount code but no information on what model to replace it with.  Will my existing hub work with newer camera models?  I’ve been researching, but no luck?

Maninavan
Tutor
Tutor

Thankyou for the detailed response.

It appears the support for the camera can run out 4 years after date of last manufacture for the camera or at the discretion of Arlo. The 4 year end of life period is the case for the end of life camera schedule issued to me for my earlier model cameras.
In future I will take the 4 year service life into account when considering the significant cost for purchasing this security gear.

rksjroy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ours too.  We can't update the firmware on 3 of the Arlo Pro3 cameras, is that because of the EOL?  I have not been satisfied with the Arlo camera system since we installed it last summer. 

Maninavan
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, suggest click on the link provided in a post earlier today and see if your camera is on the EOL list 

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

I don’t believe the Pro 3 is on that list yet but the Pro 2 is.

rksjroy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!  You are correct I did not find them on the list. Can’t  explain why the firmware will bit update in three of my six cameras??. Do I have to take the cameras down and reprogram them, is so, that would be a pain then I have to get someone to get on the ladder to get them down. 😞 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jso123 wrote:

One of my Pro 3 cameras no longer works.Will my existing hub work with newer camera models?  I’ve been researching, but no luck?

This depends on what hub you have. See https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility

But any hub that is compatible with the Pro 3 will be compatible with all Arlo camera models.  Also, Essential, Pro 4, and Pro 5s can all connect directly to your home wifi.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rksjroy wrote:

Thank you!  You are correct I did not find them on the list. Can’t  explain why the firmware will bit update in three of my six cameras??. Do I have to take the cameras down and reprogram them, is so, that would be a pain then I have to get someone to get on the ladder to get them down. 😞 

As you found, the Pro 3 is not end of life.

1. Are you trying to update the firmware manually from the app?  
  2. How long have you been seeing the problem?
  3. have you tried restarting the base/smarthub?

Sometimes just waiting a bit for Arlo to push the firmware update is enough.  You could try paid support, but they likely will want you to take steps that will need you to take the camera down.

TTBRB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do not buy any new models unless you want to pay to be able to see any recordings. I have simply safe, but also purchased two outside cameras from Arlo (simply safe didn't have outside cameras at the time). I have used the ARLO cameras for years without paying.  So, when I received that Bs email about end of life,  I bought two new cameras thinking it was just a technology issue.  NOPE...like an idiot if you get new cameras, they wont record. They only record for the first 30 days, after that, you have to get a subscription. Otherwise, you can only see video live, which only makes it so you have to charge the camera longer. I will be selling trashing these cameras if they don't change their tune. Maybe a lawsuit will help them do that... Bait and switch. Never going to trust this company again.  

TTBRB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't buy new cameras unless you want to pay for the subscription. They don't record after the trial period.  I fell for it and could kick myself in the rear. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Apparently you haven't been around since 2018 when the Ultra cameras were introduced. All new cameras at that point require a subscription for cloud recordings. It's been 5 years now...

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation