Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
willgilliland
Tutor
Tutor

I have a hybrid Arlo system.  It includes 2x Arlo Q, 4x Arlo Pro and a newly added Arlo Pro 3 black camera to VMB5000 base.  All cameras work fine, except the new Arlo Pro 3 black's motion sensitivity takes a lot of activity to trigger.  I have tried it with and without activity zones.  Even with motion sensitivity on 100% I have to walk 7 feet in front of the camera to get it to trigger.  

The image is very clear.  The wireless strength is good.  The battery is at 95%.  I don't get it.  Anything I may have missed?

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@willgilliland wrote:

Anything I may have missed?

Are you testing by walking across the field of view? Also, it is more sensitive at the bottom of the FoV.

If you can't get it to trigger out to about 20-25 feet with those tips, perhaps exchange the camera with the seller.

willgilliland
Tutor
Tutor

I have been walking across the field of view.  However, the camera is at 6 foot high and facing down, so the triggering area I want is in the center of the view.  I had an Arlo Pro camera on the same mount as this Arlo Pro 3 and the Pro and it trigger just fine.  I only replaced the Pro with Pro 3 for the response time.  The Pro took forever to connect to base and record.   The Pro 3 is much better.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@willgilliland wrote:

I have been walking across the field of view.  However, the camera is at 6 foot high and facing down, so the triggering area I want is in the center of the view.  I had an Arlo Pro camera on the same mount as this Arlo Pro 3 and the Pro and it trigger just fine. 

Motion detection isn't 100% identical in the different camera models, but the Pro-3 should trigger on a person at about the same distance as the Pro.  

I am assuming that you have a black camera shell (and not a camera skin).  If you do have a skin, then try removing it, and retesting.

But if you have the actual black camera shell, then perhaps try exchanging the camera with the seller, and see if you get better results.

Ramon_510
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same thing with mine, just bought the black version yesterday and only 3-4 motions have been detected
willgilliland
Tutor
Tutor

I exchanged my camera for another Pro 3 black.  Unfortunately, I get the same results.  However, in Camera Positioning it says "To optimize the performance of the motion detection alerts, position your camera such that triggering events will occur within the non-shadowed portion of the frame."  It would have been helpful for this information to be on the motion detection screen as well.  The shadowed portion is the top 1/4.  The suggestion to optimize motion to lower area was mentioned earlier, but the degree you have to adjust the camera is ridiculous. 

It is unfortunate I have to adjust my camera angle to appease the motion detection and not what I actually want to see.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@willgilliland wrote:

The suggestion to optimize motion to lower area was mentioned earlier, but the degree you have to adjust the camera is ridiculous. 

It is unfortunate I have to adjust my camera angle to appease the motion detection and not what I actually want to see.

Would turning the camera upside down (and applying the 180 degree setting) give you something closer to the view you want?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation