Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
feldt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi community.

I have an Arlo Pro 3 and tried to turn off detection from animals, cars etc. and only record if a human is detected.

But the system keeps detecting everything else. I have tried to lower the sensitivity with that result that I often not getting any notifications when someone enters the detection zone I have set up. 

Support won't reply on my ticket and my trial is running out in a few days. Is the detection system just that useless that it’s not worth to spend your money on a regular basics? Or are there some tweak settings I have missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@feldt wrote:

It records so much that its draining the battery so fast that I hardly goes two weeks before I have to recharge the camera again.

Smart Notifications and Activity Zones are implemented in the Alro Cloud.  Neither reduce the amount of video streaming from the camera, so neither will improve battery life.

You can try re-aiming the camera to reduce the amount of activity in the field of view.  Often that's the most effective solution.  The camera is most sensitive to side-to-side motion in the bottom of the field of view.  You can invert the camera, which is one way to reduce motion sensitivty at the bottom of the image.  There is a control to invert the image, so everything appears right side up.

The outdoor charging cable will certainly help, as will the solar panel.  Another option is to get the XL upgrade kit - that is a much larger battery, so it will last longer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

feldt,

Adjusting Arlo Smart settings will only suppress incoming push notifications for the specified events, not recordings. You will always get a recording in the library regardless of what Arlo Smart selections you have made.

JamesC

feldt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC

So if I understand you correct (sorry my settings are on danish in the app :)). At the base stationen im gonna put it on deactivated (movements and sound disabled) and in settings I'm gonna keep smart messages on persons.

Is that correct?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

feldt,

If you disable detection at the base station level, you won't receive push notifications or recordings at all. This functionality is independent of your Arlo Smart selection. Arlo Smart settings only apply to incoming push notifications and do not change what is saved to the library.

JamesC

feldt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC

Sorry I'm a bit lost to be honest. 

Thought the smart message where you can select cars, animals or humas was to only get recording/notifications for the selected subject. If that's not the case why is the feature there then? 🙂

Br

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@feldt wrote:

Thought the smart message where you can select cars, animals or humas was to only get recording/notifications for the selected subject.

Almost.  The smart notifications let you filter out unwanted notifications (cars, animals, humans, all other motion).  They don't filter out recordings.  So if you don't select cars, then you shouldn't get notifications that are tagged as car.  But the recordings are still made.

The classification isn't perfect, so you will get some misclassified notifications (and you might also miss some misclassified notifications).

Also the smart notifications are filters.  If you disable notifications in the camera rules, then you won't receive any notifications at all.  Similarly if you disarm the cameras.

feldt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for your reply thats kinda of a bummer. It records so much that its draining the battery so fast that I hardly goes two weeks before I have to recharge the camera again.

Guess I have to look for another provider or buy a solar power adapter for my camera as a solution to my issue.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@feldt wrote:

It records so much that its draining the battery so fast that I hardly goes two weeks before I have to recharge the camera again.

Smart Notifications and Activity Zones are implemented in the Alro Cloud.  Neither reduce the amount of video streaming from the camera, so neither will improve battery life.

You can try re-aiming the camera to reduce the amount of activity in the field of view.  Often that's the most effective solution.  The camera is most sensitive to side-to-side motion in the bottom of the field of view.  You can invert the camera, which is one way to reduce motion sensitivty at the bottom of the image.  There is a control to invert the image, so everything appears right side up.

The outdoor charging cable will certainly help, as will the solar panel.  Another option is to get the XL upgrade kit - that is a much larger battery, so it will last longer.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation